Author Topic: Disposing / Archiving Genealogical Research  (Read 832 times)

Offline rpweedon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Disposing / Archiving Genealogical Research
« on: Tuesday 20 April 21 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Any suggestions on how best to dispose of surplus genealogical research / discoveries accumulated over 40 years tracing my Weedon family tree.  Over the years I gathered everything I could on the name ... most of which I have found has no direct connection to my line.  But it may be of use to other Weedon family history enthusiasts focussed on Herts / Bucks and North London.  Most of the material is in the form of trees, letters, lists and the like.  I don't want it to go in the bin, which is where it may go when I leave the planet.  Anyone got some good ideas?

R. Peter Weedon
Weedon and variants

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Disposing / Archiving Genealogical Research
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 20:10 BST (UK) »
Is there a FH group locally to where the research is from or a one name study forum you could offer it to
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 21:52 BST (UK) »
Society of Genealogists. Would be stored in their library. I think for a national (or wider) set of research records this would be better than a local family history society.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 22:00 BST (UK) »
Society of Genealogists. Would be stored in their library. I think for a national (or wider) set of research records this would be better than a local family history society.

I agree. Please see here ...

https://www.sog.org.uk/learn/share-your-knowledge

ADDED - the SoG website has been struggling today, but there is a full page on this topic, if you want to access it later.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 05:56 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Any suggestions on how best to dispose of surplus genealogical research / discoveries accumulated over 40 years tracing my Weedon family tree.  Over the years I gathered everything I could on the name ... most of which I have found has no direct connection to my line.  But it may be of use to other Weedon family history enthusiasts focussed on Herts / Bucks and North London.  Most of the material is in the form of trees, letters, lists and the like.  I don't want it to go in the bin, which is where it may go when I leave the planet.  Anyone got some good ideas?

R. Peter Weedon

It really depends exactly what you have and want to dispose of, the SoG have been forced to be selective in what they accept, I would suggest writing to them first, describing what you have to offer and see what they would accept. Then try one name studies and family history societies.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 08:14 BST (UK) »
You could register with the guild of one-name studies then leave it all t9 them. They are keen that people do this.

https://one-name.org/
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 09:39 BST (UK) »
I don't think the SOG are accepting such material any more. When I visited, they had a huge archive of paper research and material, and no easy way to index it, let alone make use of it.  The SOG is undergoing a major restructuring and modernisation programme as they have realised how outdated their processes and systems had become.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland