Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 20th April  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 20th April
« on: Tuesday 20 April 21 23:33 BST (UK) »
Late morning walk, sunny again but a bit hazy today. Didn't go too far as I'd arranged to meet J for our usual walk later.

After lunch I cut the front lawn and tidied around the flower beds. My lovely neighbour came outside, had quite a long chat with her, it was gradually feeling colder. The back garden was much warmer. Had a cup of tea inside then made a big pan of pasta sauce. Did a couple of jobs in the back garden then indoors again to do some admin. The postie had brought the necklace I'd ordered online but unfortunately they'd sent the wrong item, it was the earrings that matched the necklace. Contacted the company, they will send the correct item and a prepaid envelope that I can return the earrings, I just have to pop it in the postbox. That's the kind of return I like.

My friend had phoned a company to ask about a particular battery for my car, they assured him it was the right one but despite him having gone out of his way he found when he got there that it wasn't the right one. So it's plan B, he'll bring the alternative tomorrow.

Met J at five, we went to some woods in the opposite direction to my usual ones. As we reached the end of the houses before going into the woods one of the residents was sweeping up loads of broken glass. She said that some boys had stood there deliberately smashing bottles on the road. She had called the police as she had CCTV footage. What on earth is wrong with all these idiots who think that's funny?

When we walked into the woods I hesitantly asked my friend if she would consider being the subject of my portrait painting. I was very pleased when she readily agreed, I took a lot of photos, she said it was so difficult to not smile. I've warned her that it'll probably look nothing like her!

Watched another episode of Line of Duty, wow it was exciting. Poor Steve Arnott, I could almost feel the pain in his back. Only one episode to catch up on now.

No sign of Caroline for a couple of days, I expect she's been in the pub all day.   ;) ;D ;D

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 20th April
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 07:43 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D I doubt Caroline needs the pub with 2 lovely terraced areas in her back garden!

Great you have some photos for the art project Roobarb, and what about the current trend for smashing glass.... words fail me!! Always it is our generation accused of destroying the planet, and yet I have been carefully re-using, re-purposing or re-cycling glass ALL my life.
But then, I don't leave any litter anywhere!
My parents had lost their homes and all their possessions as refugees, and they taught me about re-cycling when it was still viewed as meanness.

I was out before 08:00 to do the weekly grocery shop. Lots of traffic and school students everywhere.  H's back problem still not 100% recovered, so I went alone again. The store was busy with shelf fillers, pickers and shoppers, but I didn't have to wait long for a till. Returned for a reviving coffee before meeting a couple of chums for a stroll around the lakes.  Very fortunate to spot Canada Geese with 6 young.  I am told they are even more aggressive in guarding their young than swans, so hopefully many of the goslings will avoid predation by seagulls and the herons.  It was very beautiful in the sunshine, and noticeably quieter as schools are open.  The Muscovy ducks came for some food. If they have a nest site, neither of them is sitting on it!
Due to wind direction, it was a little bit chilly sitting on the balcony, doing some sudoku, but still a blessing.
An episode of "Silent Witness" later, and then I watched the first in a new series of the make up artist knock out competition, which fascinates me enough to be worth staying up late for.
Hope everyone has a good day.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 10:41 BST (UK) »
Littering is my pet hate. >:(

Occasionally the dog and I find beer bottles smashed on the footpath, presumably thrown out of car windows. A while ago there was a broken wine bottle, with shards of glass on the footpath where many people walk their dogs. Disgusting behaviour.

I never litter either MH. In fact I can clearly remember the last time I did. I dropped an orange peel in the school grounds, and I was about 8 years old. I also remember the exact spot.  ;D

Where were your parents refugees from MH?

Glad you have a photo for your art project Roobarb. Does it have to be a good likeness of the ‘sitter’ or can you use artistic licence? Shame you didn’t get a good shot of NN. I’m sure you would have produced an excellent interpretation of her.  ;D It’s so annoying about the battery. I’m sure half these people who give advice on such matters haven’t got a clue. A couple of years ago my daughter took her old battery to the shop to make sure she bought the right one to fit her car. Even then they sold her the wrong one, so we had to exchange it when it wouldn’t fit.  :-\

As usual, nothing much to report here. I accompanied daughter to the doggy dermatologist. A complex problem to work out what dog’s issues are. We are starting with a course of medication and changing her diet. Lots of trial and error. I am hoping it is a food allergy because that will be a simple fix.

We’ve just opened up travel between New Zealand and Australia, and already there is a hiccup - a new covid case in the community in NZ. No halting of travel so far though.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 13:14 BST (UK) »
Careless littering infuriates me, this sheer vandalism is something else altogether. The culprits should be dealt with harshly but unfortunately I think it's unlikely. Like yourself MH, reusing things was just part of daily life in my childhood and we always took any litter home.
I hope the young Canada geese thrive, it''l be interesting for you to see them growing up.

Ruskie, although we will all be striving to produce a likeness of our portrait subjects I don't think it's crucial, it's about learning the techniques to successfully place the features and use the colours correctly. Did you know that your eyes are actually halfway down your head? Most people if asked to draw a human face would place them much higher.
Re the battery, my friend has extensive knowledge of such things and had asked the questions to ascertain that the battery they had was the one he was looking for. They assured him it was but when he got there and saw it he pointed out that it wasn't what they said it was, they even had the cheek to try and argue that it was. Just as well he knows better, people like me and your daughter end up being saddled with the wrong thing by people like the seller who as you say, don't have a clue.

Hope the Covid case in NZ hasn't spread it. I suppose it's to be expected although unwelcome.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 13:54 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, I look forward to seeing your portrait of your friend.  ;) If I understand your explanation correctly, you have to do a 3/4 viewpoint of the face, ie not straight on and not sideview? If so, that is not an easy angle I don't think, (though not as difficult as a 3/4 back view).

(yes, I did know that the eyes were half way down the head .... however, I've seen people whose features don't conform to that rule, and are either up higher or down lower).  ;D

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 16:15 BST (UK) »
(yes, I did know that the eyes were half way down the head .... however, I've seen people whose features don't conform to that rule, and are either up higher or down lower).  ;D

You do realise we’re going to be staring at random strangers side profiles when we’re out to see where their eyes are in relation to their head........ 🤓
North East of England

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 16:23 BST (UK) »
... and actually, all those rules are made to be broken!
Actual careful observation of what is actually before you is the key to accurate drawing, at every level.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 18:15 BST (UK) »
A good way to know where to start though TF.  :)

Watch out you don't get reported to the police Candleflame.  ;D ;D

That's right Ruskie, it has to be a 3/4 view. Instead of asking my friend to turn into the right position I walked around her to get the right shot. Or should I say shots, she must have felt like a celebrity in front of the paparazzi considering how many I took of her.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 22:58 BST (UK) »
Just jumping in before heading out.
Ruskie; No covid in New Zealand. We do have a border case though. A fully vaccinated Aeroplane cleaner. All contacts are so far negative. As it is a border case no change to the travel bubble.
Looks like those in the Uk able to spread their wings a bit more. Enjoy your newfound freedom.
Must go.
Stay safe
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.