Author Topic: Joseph Lambert 7th Dragoon Guards 1800-1821  (Read 1362 times)

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Lambert 7th Dragoon Guards 1800-1821
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 April 21 09:03 BST (UK) »
Yes, he probably was.  Selina, the eldest child of Joseph and Mary married a Royal Marine.  I was amazed how much information is online about his life, made a change from my standard ag labs!

Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Longfield - Yorkshire/Newcastle
Franklin - Lincs/Yorks border
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Aitken - Fife/Lincolnshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 April 21 21:03 BST (UK) »
From several Registers of 7th Dragoon Guards both Joseph Lambert and Robert Dillon we’re in the same Troop E.  There was only 2 years age difference, although Joseph lost 3 years after discharge - according to census.  Mary had a baby in 1810, so I imagine she was only about 16 yrs old.  Of course Robert could be a brother!
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 April 21 00:13 BST (UK) »
From several Registers of 7th Dragoon Guards both Joseph Lambert and Robert Dillon we’re in the same Troop E.  There was only 2 years age difference, although Joseph lost 3 years after discharge - according to census.  Mary had a baby in 1810, so I imagine she was only about 16 yrs old.  Of course Robert could be a brother!
I think that the sibling theory is very likely, Kath.  Perhaps Robert’s father had been in the Army too and if Mary was indeed related then she’d have been raised in barracks and well used to the life.  There was a great deal of family connectivity in the Army.

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 May 21 19:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks both of you for your help.  I am resting this at the brick wall for now - I seem to be looking for a female birth in Scotland and possibly a sibling in Ireland, neither of which I can find.  I am looking for a marriage - which I think will probably be in Ireland 1805-1810, but find nothing.  If only Mary had lived a few months longer to the 1851 census, I may have had answers.  Just one more question, it occurs to me that Mary and Joseph could have been married by a Military Pastor, or similar - do you know if this is possible and if so are there any records anywhere?
Kath
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 July 21 16:39 BST (UK) »
Many thanks both of you for your help.  I am resting this at the brick wall for now - I seem to be looking for a female birth in Scotland and possibly a sibling in Ireland, neither of which I can find.  I am looking for a marriage - which I think will probably be in Ireland 1805-1810, but find nothing.  If only Mary had lived a few months longer to the 1851 census, I may have had answers.  Just one more question, it occurs to me that Mary and Joseph could have been married by a Military Pastor, or similar - do you know if this is possible and if so are there any records anywhere?
Kath
Yes it’s conceivable that the marriage took place under the auspices of a military ‘chaplain’ (later often called ‘padre’ because of the time spent by Wellington’s armies in Spain and Portugal). If in barracks or cantonment (India) there were records kept.  The former often survive if in Ireland and quite a number have done so in India too.  Each garrison or regimental depot usually had its own church.

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 July 21 18:58 BST (UK) »
That sounds a little hopeful, since the marriage may have taken place in Ireland.  I have no idea where else to look, so will just keep trying my standard resources in the hope that something appears - so much is coming on line.  It could of course be a good excuse, as if I need one to visit Ireland again!!!
Kath
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 July 21 17:19 BST (UK) »
That sounds a little hopeful, since the marriage may have taken place in Ireland.  I have no idea where else to look, so will just keep trying my standard resources in the hope that something appears - so much is coming on line.  It could of course be a good excuse, as if I need one to visit Ireland again!!!
Kath

There is a Blog "Irish garrison towns" and you might find details about his station (garrison) there.

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 July 21 17:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that looks interesting.  I shall certainly read it, but perhaps not today!

You suggested earlier that Joseph's father might have been a soldier.  It looks as though he was.
I have found a record in the Chelsea regimental register 48th - 59th foot in Ancestry that fits with a suitable Baptism and wife.  I now know his father's name, so maybe he was a soldier as well!  Now to see if I can find him!

Kath

Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire