Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 21st April  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 21st April
« on: Wednesday 21 April 21 23:32 BST (UK) »
Spring sunshine again. My friend came round in the morning and fitted the newly purchased battery to my car. Great stuff. After that I went for my daily walk, bumped into the couple I know again, along the same path.

Went to the nurseries after lunch, I didn't end up buying anything. It was busy there, seemed to be all old couples who were wearing their masks outside. Better than forgetting them when they go inside to pay.
On the way back I called at the petrol station to check and inflate my tyres, as strongly hinted to me.
Spent the rest of the afternoon in the garden, mostly doing things but some breaks to sit and read in the sunshine, it was hot enough for me to wear a sleeveless top. Filled the birdbath more than once, the starlings have been queuing up to bathe.

Phoned my friend L, discussed what we'll be doing in Friday art class, she missed last week and hasn't yet watched the recording. We agreed it will be something of a challenge.

Watched the Sewing Bee, it makes me wonder where they get some of the contestants. I can hardly believe that some of them had never done pattern matching and it amazes me when they sew things in the wrong way round. Don't they ever check? And as for two of the presenters and their 'rawredges'..........
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 21st April
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 April 21 07:29 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D rawredges!!  ;D ;D
Yes, where DID they get those contestants?

Sounds like you had a pleasing day on the whole Roobarb, and you have lots of photos to be getting on with when the weather turns.

We had hazy sunshine and fairly strong breezes yesterday, mostly, so it wasn't warm enough to sit on the balcony, but I had a long stroll along the front with a friend during the morning, and marched up and down the cliff walk a couple of times while H was tutoring.

Made a couple of simple birthday cards, though nothing like the marvellous elaborate creations that Caroline makes.
Also, amazingly, the Dentist offered H an NHS appointment by email, so I got straight on the phone and asked if I could have one too, which will probably turn out to be a bit of a nightmare, but must be done.

"Repair Shop" was lovely, and then "Sewing Bee".... yes Roobarb, I do agree! Most of the recycling transformations were truly awful, although the dresses were good, and all just about wearable in the time allowed.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 April 21 09:26 BST (UK) »
Plenty of exercise for you MH, you'll be fit as a fiddle. Hope you're pleased with the birthday cards. Good news about the dentist appointment, forgot to mention i have one too. Hope yours turns out better than anticipated.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 April 21 09:45 BST (UK) »
I have nothing to report.  Slept in for work, snoozed the alarm and didn't get up until 5:20.  Didn't really see the sun or any TV.  Very boring post, sorry.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 April 21 10:17 BST (UK) »
We had a wonderful day. We went to Sunderland Point, which is near Heysham (Lancashire).

There's a tidal road to access it, so we had to check the tide tables before going there to avoid getting stuck in the sea.

We had packed some sandwiches and a flask of tea. So we were really living it up.

Walking along the pebbled and rocky beach we saw lots of Cuttlefish bones (the things that budgies like). Further around we saw numerous carcases of rabbits.

We saw a dog enthusiastically carrying the remnants of a rabbit.

On Sambo's Grave somebody had left a stone with this quote painted on it:

"I hope real love and truth are stronger in the end than any evil or misfortune in the world"
by Charles Dickens

I found it very moving, especially as it was placed on that boy's grave.

Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 April 21 10:28 BST (UK) »
I checked out the Sunderland Point and grave link.
What a shocking tale!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 April 21 11:32 BST (UK) »
There was a really good series on BBC iplayer which had a programme about Sunderland Point on it, I have just looked and it is not currently available but I will put the link anyway in case it becomes available.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000c7tl

I wanted to see it as I had visited once but not a good day to get out of the car.  I love wandering round Heysham churchyard and the village when I am up that way.  Plenty of OH's family members in the churchyard  :)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 April 21 11:58 BST (UK) »
I doubt l will ever find it again, but thanks for the info Rosie. :)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 April 21 09:14 BST (UK) »
I'd never heard of this sad story of Sunderland Point, what an interesting place it sounds.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham