Author Topic: Gagen/Gegan & Schmeisser - German Ancestry  (Read 429 times)

Offline Ropey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gagen/Gegan & Schmeisser - German Ancestry
« on: Thursday 22 April 21 03:39 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information for my G.G.G Grandparents Frederick Gegan & Eliza Schmeissen who were married in Cologne, Germany c1843-5 and gave birth to my G.G Grandfather William Gegan c1845-8 in Schmalkalden, Kurhessen (Prussia? back then - now Meningen, Thuringia, Germany) who migrated to Queensland (Family notes say 1863 from England as a sponsored migrant, deceased relative thinks 1855 after researching as well as 3 brothers (of William) also emigrating except to Russia (Hagen) & Nth America).

Haven't been able to clarify any of this (from family notes) except for William in 1875 and afterwards: includes a badly photographed naturalization certificate for 1875 (Gegan), his marriage to Teresa Mangan in 1875 (Gagan), birth of children and children attending school in 1885 (Geoghegan/Gagen) and his death in 1892 (Gagan/Gagen) which states parents names as above. I have found there to "Schmeisser"s listed around that area & similar years. I'm starting to think they all emigrated for good reason and possibly never find out.

Any information or ideas on what to try next would be appreciated!
Kelly

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gagen/Gegan & Schmeisser - German Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 April 21 18:58 BST (UK) »
If you subscribe to this site you should have access to the Schmalkalden records

https://www.archion.de/en/the-portal/

Search for Schmalkalden

Dave

Offline Ropey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gagen/Gegan & Schmeisser - German Ancestry
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 April 21 17:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dave,
Much appreciated!