Author Topic: Schools within 1 mile of Paddington station, extant between 1895 and 1905  (Read 1112 times)

Offline AscotThor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello!

I would like to build a list of schools within 1 mile of Paddington, that were extant between
1895 and 1905.

1. Can anyone supply the names of any schools that meet this criteria?

2. Can anyone know of any links online to any suitable maps to help me find same?

3. Can anyone let me know which archives/libraries etc in London may have resources (maps etc)
that I can visit (once they reopen), to help me in my quest.

A teenage female from a family I'm interested in, is in the 1901 Census, located in the area in question, and I am trying to figure why she might be there. She is staying by herself at  a lodging house. She is from a working class family.

I appreciate any help.

AscotThor

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Schools within 1 mile of Paddington station, extant between 1895 and 1905
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 April 21 09:04 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

I can’t help with the name of schools, but the school leaving age at that time was 12, so a teenage girl would have been of working  age and may well have been in service at that time.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 April 21 09:17 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

The West Surrey FHS has produced a comprehensive CD with maps for exactly this sort of query ...
http://wsfhs.co.uk/pages/cds.php (see CD 16: Early 20th Century London: Maps, Street Names and Schools).

Many of the Board school admission registers that survive (at London Metropolitan Archives) are searchable by name on Ancestry, in their database London, England, Schools Admissions and Discharges, 1840-1911. The original Board school maps are also held at LMA.

But school records may not be the best way to pursue this sort of query. If you post the details of your finding in 1901, it may be easier to help you?

Offline AscotThor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 April 21 11:30 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

I can’t help with the name of schools, but the school leaving age at that time was 12, so a teenager girl would have been of worse age and may well have been in service at that time.

Hi Jebber.

Thanks for your reply. She was 13 so that fits with being in service. Her family though was
living in the Midlands, with no London connections as far as I can tell.

I tend to think she would be in service locally to her family. She could be in service in London and perhaps living near to relatives I suppose, but why would she be staying alone at a lodging house?

I have to be a bit "secret squirrel" about some details as I am researching for a non-fiction book, so I have to balance what I can say/not say, which makes asking for help less optimal!

Appreciate your help.

AscotThor

Offline AscotThor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 April 21 11:47 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

The West Surrey FHS has produced a comprehensive CD with maps for exactly this sort of query ...
http://wsfhs.co.uk/pages/cds.php (see CD 16: Early 20th Century London: Maps, Street Names and Schools).

Many of the Board school admission registers that survive (at London Metropolitan Archives) are searchable by name on Ancestry, in their database London, England, Schools Admissions and Discharges, 1840-1911. The original Board school maps are also held at LMA.

But school records may not be the best way to pursue this sort of query. If you post the details of your finding in 1901, it may be easier to help you?

Hi Bookbox

Thanks for your reply. I will check the West Surrey FHS cd link. CD 16 looks very interesting.

As I mentioned above to Jebber,, I am researching for a non-fiction book, and unfortunaltely I am not in position to post the details of the 1901 Census entry, which is very frustrating as I am sure other more experienced researchers would be able to give suggestions and help in discovering what X what doing down in London.

The info you provided though, looks potentially very useful for which I am appreciatative.

AscotThor

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 April 21 14:39 BST (UK) »
There's a census record that matches the description where the couple running the lodging house look to have married in 1882, in Islington. If that's correct, I think the wife may be the girl's aunt (her father's sister).

The couple appear to still be in London into the 1930s, based on the 1911 census record and electoral registers.

I could, of course, have the completely wrong 1901 census record.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 April 21 20:07 BST (UK) »
Just giving this thread a bump, as I'm not sure AscotThor saw my previous post.

AscotThor, if the girl you're interested in died in 1970 in Essex then there's a definite connection to the couple who were running the lodging house in 1901 (both died 1935 in Essex; same address as the girl in 1970).
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline AscotThor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 April 21 22:30 BST (UK) »
Just giving this thread a bump, as I'm not sure AscotThor saw my previous post.

AscotThor, if the girl you're interested in died in 1970 in Essex then there's a definite connection to the couple who were running the lodging house in 1901 (both died 1935 in Essex; same address as the girl in 1970).

Hi cuffi81.

Thanks for your replies. Sorry I didn't respond earlier.

Thanks for not mentioning the girls' name as I didn't want to mention it. Hush hush and all that.

Not sure if we are talking about the same girl but hopefully you have given me enough info to check
your find out. 

Not sure, but can you pm me the name of the girl to I can rule her in/out being the same girl?

Anyway thanks again.

BTW The girl's occupation is listed as "Scholar" so that makes lest likely to be in service, as per
Jebber's suggestion.

AscotThor

Offline AscotThor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 April 21 22:33 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

I can’t help with the name of schools, but the school leaving age at that time was 12, so a teenage girl would have been of working  age and may well have been in service at that time.

Hi Jebber,

The girl in question has her occupation listed as "Scholar" so that seems to me at least, that
it less likely she was in service?

regards,

AscotThor