Author Topic: Find My Past -- irritation  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Diblet

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Find My Past -- irritation
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 April 21 15:21 BST (UK) »
Yes Rosie, I suspect you're right, but they probably paid a small fortune to obtain the 1921 census and are using current subscribers to try to cover their costs.  ::)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 April 21 15:49 BST (UK) »
Whoever got the contract would have had to pay out lots of money to get it done and they would no doubt have charged us to look at it.  Initially if it is only available by purchasing credits  it is not just subscribers paying for it.   

We were able to continue that Britain sub for some years after they stopped people from having it as a new subscription, most companies would have made us change then so I am not complaining. FindMyPast are giving a further reduction on the Pro sub upon renewal for those of us transferring from the Britain sub.  I consider that the approx 60 pence a day I will pay for these subscription sites is not excessive.  It is certainly a lot more convenient (and cheaper if you include bus travel or parking charges) than going to the library where I could view them free of charge. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 April 21 10:39 BST (UK) »
Logged on to FindMyPast today and thankfully the irritation has disappeared! Searches back to normal.