Author Topic: healey family  (Read 1291 times)

Offline tancor2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
healey family
« on: Thursday 22 April 21 14:03 BST (UK) »
I have told my niece about the success i have had with questions i have put on here,so she asked if i would put the following on.
She would like to know how her 3xggrandfather came to be in St Petersburg Russia, he was born in Rochdale in 1811 died 1864 St Petersburg he married Ellen Claughton born 1812 Rochdale died 1871 Rochdale they married in Rochdale.
They had 7 children, 5 born in Rochdale and 2 born in St Petersburg these births were in 1848 and 1851, and one of the children born in Rochdale William died in St Petersburg in 1909.
Does anyone know if workers at this time travelled to such places as Russia, it is thought he worked in a cotton mill but she is not to sure of this.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: healey family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 April 21 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hello,
There is a similar query here with a bit of information. It might be useful. I am sure that there have been others.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=740401.0

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 April 21 15:15 BST (UK) »
Are you sure re the name?
There is a marriage on Lancs opc       https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/    transcribed as:

21st November 1831 St Chad’s Rochdale
Benjamin Healey, Farmer, Underwood
Ellen Clayton, Spinster, Richard Street

The marriage entry on Ancestry shows as Clafton (understandable pronunciation) and Benjamin’s occupation could possibly be Joiner.

1841 552/12/17
Hamer Place
Benjamin is a Mechanic

Baptisms of older children (lancsopc) show Benjamin as a Joiner.
Jane 1844, he is a Mechanic.

Offline tancor2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 April 21 15:27 BST (UK) »
Claughton was the surname provided by my niece,but the rest of the marriage on lan-0pc looks right.
in those days i think many names were spelt in different ways, because people writing them done went more on sound i think than correct spelling,and if the people concerned could not write they could not correct them.

Offline tancor2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 April 21 15:51 BST (UK) »
So it looks like the connection was due to working in the cotton mill, she will be pleased that we
 have found out why he was there.
I think that his son who died in St Petersburg most have stayed on when the rest of the family returned to Rochdale, because all other family members died in Rochdale.
Thanks will send her the information it may not be her family but the story of why the Healey family were their will be the same

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 April 21 16:54 BST (UK) »
Claughton was the surname provided by my niece,but the rest of the marriage on lan-0pc looks right.
in those days i think many names were spelt in different ways, because people writing them done went more on sound i think than correct spelling,and if the people concerned could not write they could not correct them.

I agree. I was reading it as ‘Clawton’ to rhyme with (Charles) Laughton but when I saw the marriage entry, I realised it must have been given as ‘Clafton’ to rhyme with ‘laugh’ ... the English language  ::)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 April 21 17:27 BST (UK) »
I found this but admit I have not read it so it may/ not be of interest to your niece.
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/businesshistory/Discussion%20paper%20IV.pdf

I searched and found it because there is a marriage entry in  ‘UK, Foreign and Overseas Registers of British Subjects, 1628-1969’ (Ancestry):
Henry Healey and Mary Jane Barlow.
Henry is a widower, his father Benjamin, residing at Ochta. Mary Jane Barlow resides at Spassky Cotton Mill (mentioned in  that Wall family link).

In the link above to the discussion paper, there is a reference to Ochta Mill on pg 6 of the document and interestingly (to me) a mention of Platt Bros, Oldham, textile machinery manufacturers on page 5. Platts was a significant manufacturer and employer in Oldham up to 1970s, I think.
It may be that your Benjamin was a mechanic in the mills there rather than a spinner etc.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 April 21 18:46 BST (UK) »
You’ll regret posting   ;)

This site is about Oldham history = here is another firm

https://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/oldham1891.htm

‘Samuel Lees founded a roller making works in the 1790s, establishing the Soho Iron Works, and this was inherited and developed by his son, Asa Lees (1816-82), exporting power looms to St Petersburg from 1843 and, though later concentrating on mules and spinning equipment, advertising "all kinds of Textile Machinery"’

I hope this adds  ‘flesh on the bones’  for your niece.

Offline tancor2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 April 21 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help i am sure it will be of great interest to my niece,i will have to find a bit of spare time to read the history of Oldham.