Author Topic: Uninformative death certificate  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Uninformative death certificate
« on: Thursday 22 April 21 21:00 BST (UK) »
I’ve just received a death registration of 1874 which states cause of death as “unknown, no medical attendant”. My gg grandmother was 69, so I suppose that had a doctor been called he might well have put the ubiquitous “senile decay”. However, was there no requirement for an inquest? There is no suggestion that she had seen a doctor recently.

On a positive note, this registration tells me that her husband called himself Thomas Astley Chesshire, providing the only definite proof I have that Thomas Astley became Thomas Chesshire, (something that previously had looked very likely but not certain), so well worth £7 to find that out.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Uninformative death certificate
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 April 21 21:16 BST (UK) »
Well, at least it wasn't entirely in vain! What a nuisance though. The one in my family that gets me is "probably old age". "Probably". He was in his 90s, so fair bet I guess?

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 April 21 21:27 BST (UK) »
Well at practically 84 and my friend at 87  both toddling along very well , managing our lives etc ,neither suffering from” senile decay” ,69 ,well still a Spring chicken we would say! ;D ;D ;D
Viktoria.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 April 21 21:52 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there is a newspaper report about her death - worth a look.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 April 21 22:06 BST (UK) »
I don’t think it was mandatory for a doctor or a coroner to certify a death till the 1890s. Prior to that someone with relevant information just reported the event, a bit like registering a birth (then).

In Ireland, and I suspect elsewhere, the medical profession were initially very reluctant to get involved in certifying deaths. They couldn’t see the point, and argued their time would be better spent attending to the ill, not the dead.  There was an underlying issue though, which was money. Who would pay them for certifying a death? Clearly not the deceased. Once the state offered to pay, their opposition to this work mysteriously disappeared.
Elwyn

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 April 21 23:54 BST (UK) »
I don't think I've actually seen an example, but I understand that death certificates for civilians killed in WW2 bombing just give the cause of death as something like "due to war operations". Perhaps someone can confirm? All part of obfuscation to prevent the Luftwaffe finding out how effective the raids were being.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 April 21 00:02 BST (UK) »
Interesting idea. My paternal great grandmother was killed by a bomb but I haven't got her death cert.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 April 21 07:49 BST (UK) »
I have a few certificates with vague causes of death like "old", "heart stopped", "stopped breathing" and "in a well".

Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 April 21 09:24 BST (UK) »
I read about one cause of death given as “Visitation of God”. I think! that would  have rattled my cage a bit too lol!