Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 22nd April  (Read 2889 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 22nd April
« on: Friday 23 April 21 09:06 BST (UK) »
First again, I guess others are getting bored with it or are busy now that restrictions have been eased. Or maybe like me, nothing much to report. Anyway, here's my less than thrilling diary:

I could just write Ditto. Usual daily walk, it was almost deserted. Afternoon spent in the garden, hot enough in the sun for a sleeveless top. Plenty of gardening, some reading in the sun.

Later on I watched the recording of last week's art class so I'd be prepared for this week. Managed to successfully print my reference photo for the portrait we'll be doing. No idea what's happened to make the printer go back to working properly, just glad it has.

That's it.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 22nd April
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 April 21 09:42 BST (UK) »
For me it's not wanting to bore everyone with the monotony of my day.  As for opening up I can't see me changing my life much.  At least not yet, other than having busier roads for my commute.

Weather was lovely here so managed to get the washing hanging outside (the small things in life).  Did a little more housework but not too much as was tired after work.

Attached a few more of my sources to my online tree.  Was hoping that I'd get to the 4000 mark by the end of the month but not looking like it. Would like to get it all done so that I could get back to doing new research.  On the plus side I have spotted a few typos eg JHon for John and have fixed those.  Has also acted as a reminder that I had a missing the odd census for people sending me off on a search tangent and making it take longer.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 April 21 14:03 BST (UK) »
I have read the Diaries most days though have rarely contributed.  I think we all probably think that our daily ritual is boring,  mine has been as I have hardly left my neighbourhood  apart from going to the hairdressers and I have hardly seen anyone except those also walking their dogs.

I have now had my 2nd jab so maybe things will change.  I will consider getting back on to the London buses and hopefully going to Kew Gardens again and some other local places of interest.  The garden centre can wait, I have been told it has been quite busy there recently but I have put in an online order for delivery from them.  The greenhouse is full of Dahlias, Tomatoes, Geraniums and other plants grown from seed, all I have got to do now is decide where to put them all.

PharmaT I think I should be following your example and revisiting my trees and sorting them out.  It was something I intended doing but never got started on. 

OH has just alerted me to a Red Kite flying around above the back gardens.  We do see them quite often but they always get my attention.  Now I have to take the dog for his afternoon walk, he is lying patiently at my feet.  It is sunny but there is a chilly wind.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 April 21 14:34 BST (UK) »
I too read all the diary posts but my days are most boring so only now post myself when I've done something out of the ordinary.

Haven't been out anywhere since my 2nd jab last Sunday.   Have now finished second cardigan for the twins so just have to sew it together now and plan to visit them next week (was going to be today - Friday - but niece forgot she'd already arranged to meet up with a friend for the first time in months).

One of our terracotta pots outside has had a large crack in it for a few years now and this past winter had now finished it off.  Tried to find another pot (that matches some of our others) but in both of the large stores that sold it, it was out of stock and has been for a few weeks now.   Googled and eventually found one exactly the same but half as much again as in the others 2 stores.   However, we needed it now so bit the bullet and ordered it and it arrived today.  Plants transferred to new pot in no time.

A pair of our neighbours have gone camping in Thetford and Lincoln for a few days (rather them than me) and asked if we'd water their plants.   Downstairs neighbour did it today and I will do it Friday.  We'll share the duty at the weekend.   Plan to work outside for a bit on Friday, generally tidying up.   Look forward to when we can get some bedding plants to give us more colour in the various pots.

Another lovely day and even better today (Friday).   Not a cloud in the sky.

Best wishes to all who read these posts and stay safe.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 April 21 15:30 BST (UK) »

PharmaT I think I should be following your example and revisiting my trees and sorting them out.  It was something I intended doing but never got started on. 

I've got myself in a bit of my rhythm now.  I started with myself, down to my children, my parents, grandparents and down those collateral lines, then great grandparents and so on.  I get side tracked because on the collateral branches I sometimes end up noticing I've not got them on the 1911 or 1939 yet and go hunting.  Slows me down a lot but it makes it a bit more fun as I have discovered things I hadn't known like one grt grt uncle was a professional footballer for a few years.  He wasn't a footballer in 1901 and not when he died so that added a bit of colour to my tree.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 April 21 15:35 BST (UK) »
It is so easy to get sidetracked with the other family members, I am impressed that you have a good rhythm going.  I think makes it so more interesting when you can find snippets like your footballing gt gt uncle, we tend to miss so much when we are on the initial hunt.  I really need to get a decent family tree programme for my desktop then maybe I can get really stuck in.  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 April 21 15:42 BST (UK) »
I suspect all of us are having rather boring days. I rarely contribute, but read the entries with interest. Thursday saw me starting of by finishing off a small artwork job that had almost got forgotten, as no real deadline, then - getting together with OH and we started lopping a huge tree that was rather sick, in our back garden. Me on the haul ropes, and he on the chainsaw!! Took quite a bit off the bulk, will do more Friday.
Back garden really dry and so ended up topping up ponds, sadly had to use some tapwater, but the frogs looked happier! Nice glass of something pleasant before dinner, out there, a swift bath, then in for that very rare thing, a cold meal.
Watched a little rubbish television, to bed quite early - a few aching muscles.
Keep those diary entries coming, a marvellous self-discipline.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 April 21 17:40 BST (UK) »
I too sometimes read the diaries but rarely contribute as I feel my news is incredibly boring.  You all seem to keep yourselves busy with gardening and other activities, but apart from walking my little westie every day I haven't, for the last few months done very much at all. I love my garden, but prefer looking at it to working in it so for me gardening is a bit of a chore. I have had many, many days where I have found it so difficult to motivate myself to do anything at all. I'm not in to zoom or facetime so haven't engaged with these, I think I have been to embarrassed by my lockdown 'look'  :-\ Anyway things are looking up! I have had my hair done, hooray!  I have done my nails and dug out my make up bag, and boy do I feel so much better for it. Last weekend we went to our holiday home in Wales and walked on the beach, what a pleasure that was. Tonight I'm going to the pub to meet up with friends for a few glasses of wine, the excitement of these simple pleasures is too much  :D  With the prospect of the travel ban being lifted I've started looking at holidays to my favourite place, Lanzarote. We normally go 3 -4 times a year so have serious withdrawal symptoms. Getting carried away in the excitement I have done some online shopping for a new summer wardrobe, this is despite not wearing last summer's wardrobe. Life is definitely getting better, just hope this covid Indian variant doesn't scupper everything, if it does I think I will be suicidal!!

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 April 21 18:28 BST (UK) »
It's lovely to hear from everyone and I suppose it shows that what we might consider to be boring in our everyday lives isn't necessarily so for others reading about it.

I hope you get your family tree sources completed PharmaT, you put me to shame, I've done very little with mine, even in the winter when I normally get back to it.

How lovely to be able to visit Kew Gardens Rosie, I've been to the National Archives several times but never to the nearby gardens. I'm sure you're right about garden centres, a busy time of the year for them in any year.

Annette, hope the plants flourish in your new pot, what a shame you had to fork out so much. There does seem to have been quite a price increase in some items, I wanted to order some plant labels and they were nearly twice as much as I paid for them last summer so I found a different seller. No good if you need it sooner like yourself.

TF, the work in the garden sounds pretty strenuous, no wonder you were aching!

Happy new hairdo Jo!  :D How lovely to have your holiday home to go to. Hope you have a great time at the pub with your friends.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales