Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 22nd April  (Read 2890 times)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 22nd April
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 April 21 11:54 BST (UK) »
I think some breeds are exempted, working terriers being one .
My Patterdale x Jack Russell had a docked tail .
She was home bred from a family pet JR.
The sire was the Patterdale,owner well known in the local hostelry , the meet for the local hunt used to ride out from there but is somewhere else now .
Had lovely chickens and a small holding .
What I did not ask and only found out later the sire was the hunt terrier!!!
We have our local mounted cruelty to foxes brigade, one of the oldest packs in the country.When I say packs I include those” up”!
I will have nothing to do with hunting ,so had no idea.
Lots of problems initially but such an intelligent dog and we won through and she was so obedient , almost thinking being obedient was a pleasure.
I would have her all over again.

As one parent is a poodle perhaps that mixture is one where  docking  is not allowed.
Dew claws can be problematical, especially on the back legs, they snag in twigs ,brambles etc so are better removed ,not the front usually .
Well we will see.
Thankyou for the links ,I will look at those ,then be in the picture .
 I do think a docked tail looks smart on some breeds but fully admit that is only because I am used to seeing certain breeds mutilated like that.

Having a clear out I put in the “ charity box” a big tick tick alarm clock .
It is now in the dog to be box.
Wound up ,no alarm, wrapped up in something snuggly ,preferably that has been in with its Mum ,the puppy will go to sleep to a sort of heartbeat and a  familiar smell .It does help to settle little puppies when first taken from their mothers.
Aaaaw!
Do you think I need one of those slingy  things so it can live in a shawl on my back like babies in other countries of the world. ;D ;D ;D
Well eight weeks at least to wait ,now where on earth can its
bed go so I am not tripping over it !
Cheerio,thanks again.Viktoria.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 April 21 12:06 BST (UK) »
Yes just looked,Jack Russells are exempt but not combinations and in breeds where still allowed it is illegal to do it after five days from birth.
I can see loopholes in that ,daughter phones tomorrow so I will tell her my preference .
Don’t know when I will see the puppies, until their eyes are opened I wont really see their little faces properly.I don’t like long muzzles ,chose my last for that reason.
Ah well,wait and see.
Thanks again for the links ,very useful.
Viktoria.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 April 21 12:15 BST (UK) »
I would have her all over again.

I know that feeling, I was like that with one of my last Cockers.  My current one is a total opposite though seems to be calming down in his old age  ;D

8 weeks will fly by and hopefully the breeder will send it with something smelling of its mother and hopefully toilet trained.   

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 April 21 13:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, a little toy or blanket with mother's scent on it is a good idea. You could always take something from home to rub on the mother when you collect the pup.

You are getting your puppy at just the right time Viktoria with the weather warming up.

My dog arrived fairly well toilet trained - they trained the pups to use one of those fake grass dog toilets with a tray below which you can empty - they are easy to clean. More high tech than the newspaper we used for a previous dog. It really is amazing how quickly they learn. Bless them. Ask the breeder what she uses to toilet train the pups so you can plan ahead.

We found baby gates very useful to keep the dog contained if needed. A tiny puppy might be able to squeeze through though so you might need to add an additional barrier possibly attached with zip ties.

I think Cockers have lovely tails rosie.  :) It is a surprise to see a dog which has traditionally had a docked tail, now with tail on display.

I'm excited Viktoria.  ;D

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 25 April 21 13:46 BST (UK) »
Tails like Flags when they need trimming  :)   

When we went to choose our pup at 6 weeks he trundled away from the rest of the litter across to the patio door and into the garden to toilet, we never did have to consciously train him as he always asked to go out.  The breeder supplied one of those 'cheap' blankets that has pawprints on, we continued to drape it over his bed and finally threw it out last year (after 10 years).  It helped keep his bed clean.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 25 April 21 13:56 BST (UK) »
 ;D Funnily enough I trimmed my dog's tail today. I left some trimmings outside for the birds to use to line their nests (though I think it's the wrong season).  :)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 April 21 15:41 BST (UK) »
 ;D  ;D

Probably the wrong time here too.  There is someone I know who brushes their dog on the 'Rec' - the hair vanishes somewhere

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 25 April 21 16:34 BST (UK) »
My naughty little Patterdale / Hunt Jack Russell saw the cat go out of the cat flap about the second or third day and was small enough to follow!
She had a crate and at first there was wet newspaper to clean away each morning but only one accident on the carpet in the whole house,she ,as do many dogs sniffed  and   circled on the spot ,so a swift swoop up and  to the spot in the back yard garden where I wanted her to go.
I also ,when blotting up the one and only accident ,placed the wet kitchen roll
where I wanted her to go.I’d point and give praise before she obliged .
She knew—- wait for it—-  :-[“ Wee Wee”,But so intelligent .
She lived on the settee for a day or two, busy Christmas work going on.
She was too tiny to get down ,so at regular intervals she was taken out and usually obliged.
Had a Scottie that took ages to learn,but was twelve weeks old when we stupidly bought her from a kennels.
We went out to get me my Christmas present,a leather jacket .
On the way we stopped at a garage ,something seemed wrong with the car .
So my daughter and I went to “ just look” at a notoriously (nearby) poor kennels.
This little Scottie,all on its own ,came up to the glass and honestly ,she smiled ,truly.
Well, we bought her.
So “ Mummy your leather jacket has chewed your shoe -“etc etc.
But she had problems from poor breeding and poor care at those kennels,she was the one more case our Vet needed to make a formal complaint .
Her sternum was almost detached,poor bone formation.
Her right “ knee” used to slip out of the groove, if she turned quickly when running .
The Vet showed us how to get it back ,not sure if the op you see  on TV had
been pioneered.This would be 1978.

Our Westie Lived to be 18 ,his Dad was best of breed at Crufts 1976.
Are you sitting down? He cost £35 ,honestly and the poor little Scottie cost £65 two years later but the Westie was from just a home breeder ,not commercial.
Scottie lived to be twelve and had leukaemia ,so mercifully put to sleep.
The Patterdale xhunt terrier was £ 125 ,in 2004 but again just a home breeder ,one dog and only one litter.
She was almost 14, Cancer of the liver and affecting the pancreas,so again put to sleep when pain relief was not working .
She was almost 14.Young really for such a hardy  breed mix.
I can see me calling this little monkey “ Puddles”!
Maybe Tom ,after Captain Sir Tom ,who’s commemorative rose is really sprouting well now .
Been in the garden,all is ready to make evening meal after a bath.
Thanks for all the advice and interest .
What fun.
My daughter loved some children’s’ books about a naughty Scottie, Angus ,
Angus and the ducks ,etc.
I will choose by looks ,so could be a female !
Jackie-?
Well , no , got a good friend of thst name.
Cheerio. Thanks again.
Viktoria.