Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 22nd April  (Read 2883 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 22nd April
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 April 21 19:36 BST (UK) »
Well I know I’ve been absent for a good few days but I have kept up with what everyone’s been up to!
Too many posts to comment on them individually but it’s great to read them all...

We’ve been busy in the garden over this past week... next doors overhanging branches of yew trees, conifers, ash tree branches by as much as 10 ft into the garden have finally had a hair cut.... even if I haven’t yet!...
OH borrowed friends chain saw that’s on a pole and put his tower together and was up over 20ft plus his height and the pole... nerve racking to say the least for me on the ground... but we got lots done and I spent about 4 hours yesterday chopping it all up to take to the recycle centre... today we’ve had a rest and will resume tomorrow....
My heads hit the pillow every night completely cream crackered .....
We had some bad new earlier today friend rushed into hospital to have blood transfusion and then starting chemo straight away.... heartbreaking as we can’t see him... just keeping fingers crossed...
Nothing else to report as garden taken up all our time... lovely to be outside in the sunshine though...
Take care all ..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 April 21 20:00 BST (UK) »
I ALWAYS read the diaries,  but like others mostly don’t have anything interesting to post!
Re family tree that Pharma mentioned, I’ve been trying to tidy all mine up in readiness for the 1921 census coming out next year so I have a target of who to look for. However like others, I found the covid restrictions worked against my task - I struggled with motivation so haven’t got as far as I should have done with it. I’m hoping once I can see my family again - my number one target, perhaps I’ll get my so called ‘mojo’ back. Haven’t ventured very far really though we have been to two clothes shops for husband .
Husband gets his second jab on Monday. My second isn’t till 2nd June.
North East of England

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 April 21 21:28 BST (UK) »
How lovely to read so many posts from people who don't normally, or rarely, write anything. :D
We have had fierce and bitter Easterlies winds here all day.
I woke a little before 06:00, and slipped out to the headland to catch the sunrise. I was really glad I put on a woolly hat and a hooded jacket, but it was great to be out on such a dry Spring morning. I walk there several times each week, yet I found lots of flowers and blossom worth photographing.
Before lunch, spent a couple of hours at a garden Morris practise. Yes, I did do that yesterday too. Different garden, different musicians, different dances and mostly different dancers. My head is fried.  :P
After lunch went around the lakes with H. By this time the thick grey clouds had cleared allowing bright sunshine, though the wind persisted.
We didn't see any hatchlings at all today, and have to trust they were in hiding, rather than someone's dinner. And no butterflies as it was too windy, but a very pleasing walk none the less.
The snooker seems to be monopolising the TV at present, so I have solved several Sudoku puzzles.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 April 21 22:03 BST (UK) »
Love reading everyone’s posts.
We returned to winter for a few days with a few cms accumulation of snow and cold temps.  We set a new record for this area yesterday, during the wee hours it went down to -7 c.  People were warned to protect their plants, but personally I think if they are foolish enough to plant before May.... it did look odd seeing daffodils and the newly emerging tulips peeking through the snow, not to mention the dandelions!
Was tired due to Covid vaccine (AZ) until today.  Nothing I couldn’t cope with, but I did notice I felt like I had had “late nights and cheap ices” as my great-aunt from England used to say!  Did have a “jolly good” sleep last night so feel normal today. 
We are still in lockdown and Ontario’s premier is under attack for all the flip flops and errors he has made since this started.  He is now in isolation as a staff member tested positive.  He started to break down as he addressed the province yesterday (outside), apologizing for making such a hash of it.  He is definitely in over his head, like a lot of them.  Wouldn’t want their jobs!
Yesterday was the anniversary of the day we met so I baked a cake and OH iced it.  If a cake can be heaven, it is.  I have frozen the rest so we are not overly tempted.
Dog was naughty yesterday - he took a piece of red pepper right off my plate!  I don’t remember him ever boldly grabbing something right in front of us.  We had picked up a fancy restaurant pizza and I guess he decided he wanted in on the party.  Stupidly (blame it on whatever) I left my plate on a side table, turned my back and he helped himself to a couple of small crusts.  Did he get a scolding!  This is not like him at all.  I was worried about his digestive system but he’s right as rain, much to my disgust...but I am sure indigestion has taught few dogs any lessons at all 😁.
Went for a walk in our municipal park today, it is huge, but I don’t think I have ever seen any litter there.  I am so glad people respect it.  I have never heard of teenagers having parties there, either.  I know before Covid there were volunteers that would clean, and the Parks people come to do maintenance,  and we are very lucky that it is well taken care of.
Think I saw a female downy woodpecker at the park.  They make a heck of a noise drumming for such as lol bird.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 April 21 22:15 BST (UK) »
Well perhaps mundane would be a better word than boring.
I tell myself there are many people would be glad to have a mundane life considering how fraught their lives are.

As Norah Batty said frequently, “ Boring ,there’s nowt wrong with boring, you know where you are with boring!I trained my Wally to be boring for forty years!”

Well folks, daughter phoned re a litter of puppies to be born this weekend .
The owner has the new stables .
Parson Jack Russell and Poodle cross.
There has been one litter before ,same parents and people asking about them as they have all grown up to be delightful little dogs.
So should be born on Monday ,then photographs etc.Will be ready in nine or so weeks,will have first vaccination and at a very reasonable price.
My daughter and husband will have it if I am unable to look after it.

Hair cut, looks OK, advised no bleaching etc but it really is grey mostly now.
A trip into town centre and posted a present to my friend in Wales, got some shopping, plants for baskets and containers.
Son met me outside hairdressers, so help with shopping.

Lovely sunny warm day.

Thanks for the news however ordinary.
It really is calm water in a stormy sea, truly.
Viktoria.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 April 21 08:57 BST (UK) »
Just popping in to make couple of comments about what people have been up to ...  :)

I’m amazed how much heavy work TY and Carline are tackling in their gardens. I’m a bit like Jo - I enjoy my garden but it takes a bit of effort for me to motivate myself to do anything. Luckily my garden more or less looks after itself though I do have quite a lot of pots which get replanted seasonally.

I’m very interested to hear about your possible little puppy Viktoria. That will keep you on your toes, but just make sure it doesn’t get under your feet.  :D A Jack terrier poodle cross should be a lovely little dog - called a Jack a Poo I believe?

Poodle crosses are so popular here, not surprisingly, because any breed crossed with a poodle is the cutest thing. Prices for dogs here have risen hugely since covid, and poodle crosses were always more expensive than many pure breeds.

OH, wants another dog (I say definitely not at this point in time). Our Golden Retriever cost us $2,500 nearly four years ago. Some ‘breeders’ are now asking up to $9,000 for them! Outrageous. No doubt the higher cost will lead to more puppy thefts too.

Your little lad must have thought it was worth the risk to steal food off your plate Diana, but I bet he was disappointed that he only managed red pepper and crust rather than something meaty.

Good to hear that some of you are getting out and about, for haircuts and cafe’s etc.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 April 21 21:52 BST (UK) »
Ooooh a Golden Retriever, yes prices of dogs have escalated during the pandemic.
The biggest dog we owned was a Wendover strain ( a big strain)of Irish
Setter
I used to feel like a millionaire  when walking with that dog,almost  six feet from nose to tail.. Enormous paws and the “ feathering “ on her tail a foot long .
A gentle giant.

These puppies are very reasonable and the owners of the mother are going to be very selective about who they sell them to.
I know some dogs can still have docked tails ,but whilst  both sorts of Jack Russells have traditionally been docked Poodles have not.
I hope this little dog won’t be .If I insist not for the puppy I choose that might be OK, but it is done when the puppies are very young.It depends when I get a photograph.
I can’t see the owners of the mother having it done ,they are very conscientious and caring about the horses stabled with them.

Dogs’ tails show other dogs a lot about  their mood etc also dogs’ ears and to dock and crop is very cruel.

No plans really for tomorrow.
See what the day brings.
Some gardening for sure ,if fine.
Might bake ,neighbour still in hospital ,but she would enjoy a nice Viktoria sponge when home.
Cheerio folks .
Viktoria.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 April 21 00:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, the Golden Retriever is a beautiful dog. I hope after covid we don’t find an increase in dogs in shelters once people return to normal life and find their dog doesn’t fit so well into their post covid lifestyle, but I suspect that we will.

Viktoria, if you have “your name down” for one of the pups, I think it would be acceptable to ask if their tails will be docked, and state your preference.

Docking is illegal here in Australia and has been for many years now, even for show dogs. I would have thought it would be the same in the UK. A dog needs it’s tail.  ;D

Added:
https://www.animalwelfarefoundation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Tail-docking-guidance_2017.pdf

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 April 21 11:04 BST (UK) »
You should be OK with a tail on your puppy Viktoria.  Breeders have to apply to get the tail docked, see attached form for clarification
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/1120/schedule/2/made

My previous Cockers had docked tails, it was done automatically in those days along with often removing the dew claws.  My present dog has both long tail and dew claws.  His tail is at coffee table height but has yet to knock anything off.

I look forward to hearing about your new arrival.  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk