Author Topic: Annie Smith possibly born London ?  (Read 2016 times)

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Smith possibly born London ?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 25 April 21 14:23 BST (UK) »
Jonw65
Thanks for all that info, ill go and check all those adresses out and hopefully something will turn up, i have ordered Annie Smith and Walter Fowlers marriage cert so hoping that will give more answers as well x

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 26 April 21 11:49 BST (UK) »
Jonw65
I have found Annie Smith in 1901 she is a domestic cook at 11 Alleyne Road West Dulwich, age 24, working for a Mr Wann, she states this address on one of the records that you sent a link to. Off to try and trace her, and hopefully her daughter Annie, in 1911 x

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 26 April 21 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
Well done. I must have found the wrong address in 1901.
I think she must be Anna Maria Smith, born Horstead in Norfolk, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth. She seems to have married Herbert Wiggett in Norwich in 1903.

There is some poor transcribing in the free index to the 1911 census, which has daughter Annie Elizabeth as South!
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X75R-P5G

I think a look at the original will confirm things.
So sadly it seems those two Annies are not going to be the right ones. I haven't exactly been great help, sorry! So many Annie Smiths.
Good luck
John

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 26 April 21 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi jonw65
Thanks for your help, i've looked at the original 1911 census and its written as Annie Elizabeth Smith, so the transcription is way of with South. Ill have to wait for Annie Smith and Walter Fowlers marriage cert to come to continue i think, hopefully that will shed some light on  whether she has been married previously.

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Smith possibly born London? UPDATE
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hello
Would anyone be able to help me please locating the above lady. Her name was Annie Smith and she would be born around 1902 but i dont know where. She married in 1926 to Thomas William Bowman, she was 24 he was 21, in Lambeth London, her father was named on the marriage certificate as Benjamin Smith, occupation cab proprietor, deceased, but i cant find any info on her father either. Annie died in 1931 in Dulwich London of TB. I would love to know if she had any siblings and what her parents (mother) was called. Any help would be fantastic, thankyou in advance.

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Smith possibly born London? UPDATE
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I received the marriage certificate today of Annie Smith and Walter Edward Fowler, and it shows that Annie Smith was a spinster when she married Walter on 12 November 1923, which means that her daughter, also Annie Smith, was definatly illigitimate when she had her around the 1902 mark. Annie Smith (mum) was 41 when she married Walter and she lived at 47 Beechdale Road in Norwood, Walter lived at 163 Milkwood Road, Hearne Hill, they married in Lambeth London.  Annies father is down as Henry Smith, coal miner, deceased. If any of you lovely people could locate Henry Smith and Annie in the 1891/1901 census i would really appreciate it, im also going to look now. Thankyou in advancexx

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for letting us know the details! Father Henry a Coal Miner, a bit unexpected. It looks as though Annie was not from London. Makes it more challenging!

I've got a candidate, hope she lasts longer than the last one.
1891 census in St Mary Nottingham
Annie Smith, 8, born Nottingham
Daughter of Henry Smith, 39, Coalminer, and Mary Smith, 38
Siblings Eliza, 15, Sarah, 13, and Jack, 10
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:4CNW-CZM

One piece of luck, the parents and the two older girls were born in Leicestershire. Eliza and Sarah born Ibstock, which was in Market Bosworth registration district.
From that it appears that Mary's maiden name was Clamp.

Annie's birth reg
SMITH, ANNIE       
Mother's Maiden Surname: CLAMP 
GRO Reference: 1882  D Quarter in NOTTINGHAM 431  Volume 07B  Page 389

That is the right quarter for Annie Fowler's birthday in the 1939 Register. Which said she was born in 1883, but your marriage cert could make her a year older.

1901 in Nottingham, piece 3168 folio 134 page 16
Henry Smith 50 Coal Miner
Mary Dina Smith 49
Jack Smith 20
Annie Smith 18 Lace Factory?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XSNZ-NFL

Now it gets interesting.
Free index to 1911 census, St George the Martyr Southwark, London
Mary Dineah Smith 59, born Ibstock Leicestershire
Annie Smith 28 Dressmaker, born Nottingham
Annie Smith 8 born Hugerscote, Leicestershire (I think should be Hugglescote)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWPJ-8XK

They are boarding with someone.
So now we have an Annie Smith of the right age, daughter of a Henry Smith, Coal Miner, down in London. And she appears to have a daughter of her own called Annie.

Maybe
SMITH, ANNIE       
Mother's Maiden Surname:
GRO Reference: 1902  S Quarter in ASHBY-DE LA-ZOUCH  Volume 07A  Page 113

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 06 May 21 11:32 BST (UK) »
Johnw65
Thankyou so much, i have had a look at the info and it definately looks like you have found the correct Annie Smith for me, im so glad i got the marriage certifcate as it opened up so much, espesially Annies father being a coal miner. Again thanks loads x