Author Topic: Valentine photograph can someone date please  (Read 434 times)

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Valentine photograph can someone date please
« on: Friday 23 April 21 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

In the box of photographs recently discovered is this gentleman, If we could date this then we may have a more accurate idea as to which family member he is. The photograph had been placed beneath another in an album so condition is a bit poor.

One of our contenders was born on 1808 and died in 1851 so this would have to be an early photograph if he is to be considered.

Thanks in anticipation Patricia x
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine photograph can someone date please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 April 21 16:34 BST (UK) »
A quick guesstimate would suggest 1860s. Not 1851.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 April 21 16:55 BST (UK) »

I thought 1851 was a little too early, that helps somewhat to reduce 2 possible candidates, Thank you..

I have another photo of 4 girls in the Valentine family, we know who they are as the photo has names however the clothing suggests a later period. the 4 girls were born 1846, 1850, 1859 and 1863, the young man is one of their brothers Alexander who was born 1855. this suggests to me that the photo would have been taken around 1880, does that seem likely?

Perhaps they were a little behind times in the fashion stakes in Stonehaven....

The photo is in an album so cannot see the reverse sorry..

Patricia x

Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 April 21 17:01 BST (UK) »
Second half of the 1880s.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 April 21 17:11 BST (UK) »
I've found a photo in one of my books that has a man in similar clothing and hairstyle to your first pic that's dated 1851 but I don't think that the pose or mount is 1850s.

Add - back is later.  It could be a remount.

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 April 21 17:18 BST (UK) »

The first photo of the gentleman was taken by D Ross in Stonehaven, the logo on the reverse looks to be older than other photos taken 1870 plus the later one has more of a flourish...

Thank you for your help,

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 April 21 17:30 BST (UK) »
The family have two oil portrait paintings c 1840/50. we hoped that it may be a photograph of one of these. the younger died 1848 he was young when he died from consumption, the second is the one b1808 died 1852.  I wondered if it was the younger one as he appears more 'dandyfied' ..

Patricia x