Author Topic: Keeping it in the Family  (Read 1760 times)

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping it in the Family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 21:37 BST (UK) »
I too have 3 brothers who married 3 sisters.  The 1921 census will help me untangle whose children are whose!
I also have a stepmother who married a stepson just before he went off to WWI.  She was never married to the father, but did have 5 children with him, and is listed as his wife on the 1911.  She had no children with John Jr.  When the woman died, the informant, a daughter from the group of 5 listed her as the widow of John Sr. not John Jr.
John Sr also had an earlier marriage that ended in divorce, and 5 children.  Also a son John there! A second marriage produced 2, including John Jr. the Second.
What a tangled web...

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 22:49 BST (UK) »
I too have 3 brothers who married 3 sisters.  The 1921 census will help me untangle whose children are whose!
I also have a stepmother who married a stepson just before he went off to WWI.  She was never married to the father, but did have 5 children with him, and is listed as his wife on the 1911.  She had no children with John Jr.  When the woman died, the informant, a daughter from the group of 5 listed her as the widow of John Sr. not John Jr.
John Sr also had an earlier marriage that ended in divorce, and 5 children.  Also a son John there! A second marriage produced 2, including John Jr. the Second.
What a tangled web...

Brothers marrying sisters can help with the tree, however the amount of namesake children two brothers can have, such as if 2 brothers have 2 daughters, they are given the same first name, same for sons, or even if there are 3 or 4 brothers, you have 4 sons all called Thomas Hamilton or Anne Hamilton, a very tangled web.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 00:57 BST (UK) »
What a tangled web...

Brothers marrying sisters can help with the tree, however the amount of namesake children two brothers can have, such as if 2 brothers have 2 daughters, they are given the same first name, same for sons, or even if there are 3 or 4 brothers, you have 4 sons all called Thomas Hamilton or Anne Hamilton, a very tangled web.

You are right! I will have to have a look at this family, but the children were born in the early 20th century, when the naming patterns were less rigid.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 15:19 BST (UK) »
Legal or not it happened and often... when people married they 'gave' information and unless it was in their parish where they were known and their family circumstances were known they could lie and tell the church it was their first marriage / give their maiden name and the church didn't verify or know any difference...which is likely why laws were eventually changed
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend