Author Topic: Lewis Langdon Halls emigration to Ballarat  (Read 1053 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lewis Langdon Halls emigration to Ballarat
« on: Friday 23 April 21 23:33 BST (UK) »
Lewis Langdon Halls was born in 1800 in Devon.
His wife was Eliza Chant.
In the 1851 Census they live in Exeter. He is an ‘assistant grocer’.
They had some 10 children, including William Langdon, (1824), Lewis Langdon (1832) , John Barratt, (1827), Alfred. (1829), George Charles, (1838), Samuel (1837),  and Albert. (1840).
In 1851 only these were still living at home; John B; Helen (aged 16); Samuel; George Charles and Albert.
William Langdon Halls died in 1905, having spent times in and out of mental institutions in Devon during his life.

In 1856, John Barratt Halls is on the electoral roll in Ballarat, Victoria, and in July 1857 there is a record of John Barratt Halls marrying in Ballarat. He is a ‘storekeeper, late of Exeter, Devonshire’
He died in 1864, Victoria.

Eliza ( Chant) Halls died 1872 in Ballarat.
George Charles Halls and Lewis Langdon Halls junior died 1875 in New South Wales.
Albert Halls had a son Lewis John Halls in 1879 in Ballarat.

Lewis Langdon Halls senior died in Ballarat 1888, ‘aged 88’ .

Can anybody find them emigrating to Australia, presumably sometime between 1851 and 1861?

In an article in 1863 on Trove. John Barratt Halls says he has been in Ballarat for 7 years. So he must have left England between 1851 and 1856.
I don’t know how many of them emigrated to Australia - apart from the deaths I’ve found above, or if they all came together or not. I have had no success at trying to find them on passenger lists etc.

Any help greatly appreciated
Thank you
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lewis Langdon Halls emigration to Ballarat
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 April 21 08:02 BST (UK) »
The son named George was actually George Chant HALLS rather than George Charles HALLS.
Here is a marriage announcement
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/112890596

He died and is buried in Ballarat
Records show he as an inmate of the Benevolent Asylum aged 81 years  and his death date was 28/3/1919.  He is buried at the Ballarat New Cemetery.

Lewis L. HALLS is recorded under the spelling Louis and was also a resident of the Benevolent Asylum. Aged 88.  He is buried at the Old Cemetery.

Others are interred Ballarat too.

This caught my eye when you mentioned the occupation of grocer in the family.

Lewis HALL (sic) grocer 1851 in Melbourne
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/4779275

Perhaps, if this this is family member, he  came ahead of others.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 April 21 09:38 BST (UK) »
Some good snippets there, Sue.  I've looked for any other mentions of this family but there seems to be sparse information out there - and searching turns up lots of "Hall" entries on TROVE etc but not much for 'Halls".

I suspect that there would have been some poor transcriptions/mis-spellings along the way also.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 April 21 07:23 BST (UK) »
Some good snippets there, Sue.  I've looked for any other mentions of this family but there seems to be sparse information out there - and searching turns up lots of "Hall" entries on TROVE etc but not much for 'Halls".

I suspect that there would have been some poor transcriptions/mis-spellings along the way also.

Judith

Thanks to you both.
Some more interesting snippets about their lives in Australia.

I just wish I could find ONE record of them all actually emigrating!  :)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 April 21 08:37 BST (UK) »
I just wish I could find ONE record of them all actually emigrating!
Me too, goldie61

This family is quite elusive considering there were quite a few of them and that they appear to have run shops/businesses, and may have been reasonably well-known in the Ballarat area.

The immigration shipping lists held by the Victorian government begin in 1852 so I suppose there's a possibility that they arrived before those records began.  The other avenue which may give a clue is to buy the image of Eliza's death certificate. 

You may already know all this so I apologise for the repetition if you do.  Victorian BMD records are very informative (so long as the informant is knowledgeable/truthful.   This is the information asked for:
Deaths
 Date and place of death;
 name and surname;
 occupation of the deceased;
 sex and age;
 cause of death, duration of illness, medical attendant by whom certified and when he last saw deceased;
 name and surname of parents (if known) including mother's maiden surname       
signature, description and address of the person who gave the information; 
signature of deputy registrar, date and where registered,
 when and where buried,
 undertaker whom certified, name and religion of Minister, or names of witnesses of burial;
 place of birth of the deceased and how long he or she resided in the Australian colonies or states (stating which),
 name of spouse, place of marriage, age at marriage;
 names and ages of children of the deceased.

Looking at the index entry for Eliza, the informant knew her parents' and spouse's names so it would seem likely that the informant might also know how long Eliza had been in Australia/Victoria. The index entry for Lewis shows less information - not uncommon for those who die in an institution. 
John Barratt Hall's index entry seems to be complete also and his death is nearer the probable date of  immigration.

Images of Victorian historical bmd records can be purchased for $AU20 and the3 image is emailed to you directly.
https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 00:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks judb for that information.

I suppose it's possible they came in late 1851. They are still in the UK 1851 Census -  taken at the end of March that year.

Interesting they were both in a 'Benevolent Asylum'. I wonder if this was more like a place where old people could go if they had nowhere else - not necessarily in need of mental health care.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 01:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, a Benevolent Asylum was a place for the sick and needy so it's likely that there was no-one able to care for them - somewhat similar to care homes today.

https://www.ballaratgenealogy.org.au/research/ballarat-benevolent-asylum

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/66334646

Judith

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 04:01 BST (UK) »
Hi goldie

Just this one possibility?

A Lewis and Elizabeth HALLS arrived in VIC Sep 1857 on the ship White Star.
Both were recorded with their age as 45 which I doubt is correct.

It may be that others in the family arrived earlier in another State before travelling overland to Ballarat.

Essie

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 08:31 BST (UK) »
Excellent find, Essie.

As you've said the shipping record gives ages of 45 for both Lewis and 'Eliz'th', gives his occupation as 'farmer', but it's not uncommon for shipping records to be incorrect. Ship departed Liverpool.

Very odd though - over the weekend I have used Ancestry search and PROV Shopping records more than once but both said no record found.  Today when I put  'Lewis Halls' into Ancestry lo and behold up comes the link to the shipping record!   ??? ::) :o

Judith