Author Topic: Diary > Friday 23rd April  (Read 954 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 23rd April
« on: Saturday 24 April 21 08:47 BST (UK) »
I don't see one, so will start Friday's

Nothing much to report today again.  Another nice day here so more washing out to dry.

girls finished school for the weekend, the wee one in particular was feeling tired.  Taking a while to get back into it after being off for so long. Trying to psych myself up to do a big clean on the wee one'sroom it's a bit of a disgrace.

Added some more of sources onto my tree, no interesting finds though.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Friday 23rd April
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 April 21 09:34 BST (UK) »
Well done Pharma.
We had a very grey morning here with bitter Easterlies, but I popped out to see the sunrise which was balm to the soul.
Later had a dance practise, in line with regulations, and instead of a cuppa after, someone brought little pots of ice cream. Yummy. :)
A walk round the lakes with H after lunch. No fluffy baby water birds visible sadly, but they might have been hiding away. Bright sun by this time, and lots of bird song, though still a very fierce wind.
Too much TV snooker going on, and I am becoming faintly disenchanted with it, however I still have another 90 Sudoku puzzles in my book!! ;)
Hope everyone can have a moderately pleasing day.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Friday 23rd April
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 April 21 09:46 BST (UK) »
Lovely to get the washing blowing on the line PharmaT, hope the little one perks up.

You must have been up very early MH to see the sunrise. Hope the little water birds are safe, maybe as you say hiding.

My day was relatively quiet, particularly compared to all the arboriculturism performed lately by TY and Caroline, and Viktoria gaddding about town!

My Friday:

An absolutely gorgeous day, blue skies and sunshine. Was wearing a light jacket for my walk, had to take it off, I was hot. It was quiet again, looks like people are walking around the shops now instead of the woods.

Prepared for art class including watching some of the recording of last week's class, I hadn't been able to concentrate properly at the time so needed to go back over it before today's class. Had some lunch and tidied up before we started.

The teacher went along with us as we drew the planes of the face in charcoal, I found it much more enjoyable than I expected. I'll be watching Portrait Artist with an even greater respect! The next step is to make it into a tonal drawing with charcoal, we'll do that at home before next week's class when we will be doing the painting stage. The third week will be the details.

It was late afternoon when we finished, I went out into the garden, it was cooler than I expected, there was a bit of a breeze. Salmon for tea, glass of wine, TV as usual.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 23rd April
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 April 21 09:57 BST (UK) »
I am in awe Roobarb.

I think I wrote Friday's entry late last night under Thursday's heading...... Sorry for repeating myself..... but infact, all the days merge into more or less the same thing, so it isn't really surprising!!  ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 April 21 10:20 BST (UK) »
Friday - St George’s Day. We used to always celebrate various days with special meals though that has tailed off somewhat recently. However as we had all the ingredients decided to go for sausages, mash and beans. Usually not my favourite meal, though OH loves it. It was quite good though thanks to the nice sausages purchased from our Irish butcher.  ;D (Sausages here are generally sub par.)

After watching “The Missing” recently, we moved on to the spinoff series, “Baptiste” starring the lead character from The Missing. I am enjoying these series and the locations - France, Switzerland etc.

Not much else to report. Weather is lovely, at the moment, around 25 degrees and sunny. Nights are cool.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 April 21 10:40 BST (UK) »
We came out of lockdown on Monday - and I finally managed to get a haircut!
Fringe was in my eyes; sides were covering my ears ;D

Now back to a shorter style.

First time this week that I haven't been out for lunch.
I try to use a different cafe each day - spreading my custom, as it were!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 April 21 10:58 BST (UK) »
Beautiful weather for St George's day. I went out for my usual walk but it seemed very quiet, perhaps it as Roobarb has suggested people are out at the shops, or at the pub, my village pub was packed out at 2pm. We met up with friends at 6pm for a drink only to get to the pub to be told every table was taken and there was people waiting. We decided that we would go home and get our chairs and a bottle and sit on the village green in the sunshine. We all duly did so, moving chairs around to get the best advantage of the sun and views. After much shuffling about (it was like a children's game) we finally got settled only for me to get a text from the pub landlady to say she had found us a table! After her going to so much trouble for us we decided to upsticks, drop our chairs and bottles in friends garden across from the village green and head to the pub. The table was in a shaded part of the beer garden and after half an hour we were all freezing, perhaps we should have stayed on the green  ::) We stayed for a couple of hours then came home, I had to blast the central heating for an hour to get warm, still it was nice to get out and do something normal, we all had a good laugh and it was lovely to catch up.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 April 21 13:52 BST (UK) »
Reading all your posts it’s looking more like people are trying to return to some sort of normality which is so refreshing to hear...
The weather helps so much to restore the good feel factor doesn’t it... long may  it last.. I was quite surprised when I got up the other morning to see a light frost on the ground..😳 the evenings are still chilly and the heating has come on at various times for the end of April most unusual... as we are on oil it’s not cheap either.!!

My day

I’d slept like a log after all tge tree branch chopping I’d done on Thursday... it was a lovely morning so all windows flung open to let the air in...
After breakfast washing out and general tidy up... some cooking...
We had said we’d go out and finish off the tree work but to be honest neither of us was very keen and thought we deserved a day off...
I sat in the sun reading for a good time enjoying the sunshine...
Late afternoon we had a game of scrabble which I lost... my own stupid fault letting OH being able to use a J on triple word 😤😤.
I made chicken, ham, mushroom, leek and tarragon pie for dinner...
Not good news re our friend whose now been diagnosed with leukaemia ...   rushed into Addenbrokes to start treatment.... his wife’s beside herself and we feel so helpless especially as the hospital is near to us...
Watched last couple of episodes of Unforgotten series 3... very good if a little harrowing at the end...
Hope everyone is keeping well and many now on to second jabs... news seems to be good regarding their performance... still taking it easy and carefully for the moment .

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 April 21 15:11 BST (UK) »
Busy week.
Monday. Pm Car trip to Burrington Combe (Rock of Ages), and return home via Blagdon, Chew Valley Lake

Tuesday  am Blood letting! Follow up on Dr's orders. PM to Winsley to see client for small project.

Wednesday am Church Council meeting by Zoom - I hate these meetings where you are at the mercy of the person who can manipulate the mute button and cut you off. I have a hearing problem and even with HA sometimes find things difficult, but when someone's Vision and sound are out of sync I just have to give up, as I rely to some extent on basic lip reading.(Can't turn the sound off as OH is also part of the meeting!) Then pm to see our friend Mary.

Thursday to garden centre for some plants and compost and then out for another drive in the opposite direction from Monday. Warminster and back through the Deverills to Mere, Zeals Wincanton, Castle Cary and back home to Radstock.

Friday. Basic gardening tidy. Decided to remove the iron obelisk/plant supporter and grass over the area. Tomatoes looking good but I have not yet put them out into the greenhouse as  Jack Frost seems to be lurking in the background still.

I also had a couple of disappointments with FH when certificates from GRO did not give me the answers I was hoping for.

Never a dull moment- well sometimes but we try and keep positive.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!