Author Topic: 1871 England (Northumberland) Census - Isabel(la) Young  (Read 26675 times)

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 England (Northumberland) Census - Isabel(la) Young
« Reply #36 on: Monday 03 May 21 23:41 BST (UK) »
Maddy,

It could be that George Robert married in Sept Q 1891 (Hexham 10B 457)....but I haven't ordered the MC to confirm. I live in Texas so even if I ordered it it would still take several week to get here. There are only 3 marriages showing for a George Robert CHARLTON between 1871 and 1900 and only one in the Hexham area so unless he moved away to marry (Emily did) I am thinking the Hexham one is the most likely candidate. Likely brides are Jane BARNBY or Phyllis THOMPSON. As the free period for FindMyPast is over I will not be able to check the family group in the 1891-1911 censuses just yet.

Thanks for the pointer and suggestion.

Kevin

Ferguson, Stockton-on-Tees
Hollinshead, Stafford/Guisborough
Pratt, Berwick/Newcastle-upon-Tyne
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham
Carlyle, Hexham/Annan Dumfries

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 02:24 BST (UK) »
A George Robert CHARLTON (23) married Phyllis THOMPSON (21) on 19 Sept 1891 at Hexham. His father - John CHARLTON, her's Wiliam THOMPSON. (Again, not looking at the image, only on the index at Ancestry.)

They can be found on the 1901 census at Hexham:
George R CHARLTON   32      Hexham     (railway engine driver)
Phyliis                             30     Hexham
RG13/4824 pg 18

In 1891it looks like George is in Hexham, boarding in a hotel (23, St John Lee, railway stoker)
RG12/4247 pg11

I think George and Phyllis travel to Sydney, Australia in 1903 on the Orontes (Mr G R CHARLTON, 34, engine driver) and Mrs CHARLTON (32), though it says "Scotch". They end up in New Zealand where George Robert dies on 28 Sept 1910. This obit mentions that he had recently travelled back to his home town of Wall, Hexham-on-Tyne.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qkz/
(Whilst it looks possible, I'm not certain about the above.  ;) )

Whilst this does look like your George Robert CHARLTON, I think it needs a bit more investigation, being a common name I think you need to rule out a few other possibilities.

It also doesn't really help you with who his father is ... It would be interesting to see the image of the marriage to check if there was any further information that may be helpful. And again, as there was no father recorded on his birth registration (or baptism), he may not have known who his father was. And he may not have had the same father as Emily Adelaide.

I can't seem to find George Robert in 1881.  :-\

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 09:21 BST (UK) »
Further to Maddy's post the George Robert Charlton who married Phyllis Thompson did it would appear emigrate to New Zealand. He left a will.

The attached link is of his death certificate but scroll backwards and forwards to find other attached documents including the will itself.

His death cert names his father as John Charlton a blacksmith. The informant did not know his mother's name. He died 28 Sept 1910 of TB. It gives his place of birth as Wall.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9K6-83TL?i=499&cc=1865481

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 10:09 BST (UK) »
I think that George Robert is recorded as George R Young in the 1881 census.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2WM-456X

In researching my own family in Northumberland and Scotland I have encountered a lot of illegitimate births and how this has been dealt with on bmds. I have to say that I think that illegitimacy, and efforts to cover it up, is the "answer" to some of the questions you have raised in this thread. It looks to me that both Emily Adelaide and George Robert were illegitimate. It is interesting to note that on his death cert. he names his father as John Charlton, a blacksmith. John Young, his stepfather, was a blacksmith. Is this a coincidence ? The lack of a mother's maiden name on the death cert. may not be through a lack of knowledge but to hide his illegitimacy.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 11:56 BST (UK) »
That's great Millmoor, good to confirm what happened to George Robert. Interesting career, from engine driver, to bicycle seller to farmer.  :)

And yes, there he is in 1881 back where this thread started with a YOUNG family, good find. (The other children in the household all have mmn CHARLTON, so this does appear to be George's mother, Mary Ann with John YOUNG. I should have realised as Emily Adelaide is with John YOUNG in 1891 at Prudhoe.

I agree, I don't think John YOUNG is George's father, and the fact that he names his father "John CHARLTON, blacksmith" is likely more than a coincidence, and rather a cover up for illegitimacy. Unfortunately it means his true father is unlikely to be found.

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 23:44 BST (UK) »
All,

Thank you all so much. It is interesting that he names his father as John CHARLTON when even though the only John I have found in John YOUNG who married George's mother Mary Ann CHARLTON in 1871. (11th Dec Hexham 10b 462). According to George Robert CHARLTON's BC no father is named. I guess it is possible he didn't want to explain the surname difference and figured that nobody would even care on notice while he was in New Zealand?

Thank you all again for helping unpick the spaghetti. I still have lots of unravelling to do. It would appear that both my paternal and maternal side of the family were little tinkers (not literally!). I do have a strong lineage in paupers though and I am happy to report that I am continuing that tradition! :)

Regards
Kevin

Ferguson, Stockton-on-Tees
Hollinshead, Stafford/Guisborough
Pratt, Berwick/Newcastle-upon-Tyne
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham
Carlyle, Hexham/Annan Dumfries