Author Topic: Little Family of Stirlingshire  (Read 695 times)

Offline grrankin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Little Family of Stirlingshire
« on: Sunday 25 April 21 04:50 BST (UK) »
Hello, my great-grandmother was a Little that married a man from Stirlingshire and their daughter married a man from Kilsyth (my grandparents). I so far have not been able to trace any info regarding my great-grandmothers family.

I have recently discovered the Reiving Littles and suspect we may be related. Somebody mentioned that their Little Reiver relative was a Covenanter, as were many in Stirlingshire where my great grandmother resided. I was wondering if anybody knew of any historical political allegiences between Reivers and Covenanters.

I suspect that the politics of the time would have had a large influence on where the Reiving families that didn't move to Ulster actually went after they were cleared out of the border areas. Unfortunately my knowledge of those politics is scant.  If anybody could help posit a guess as to where my Little relatives may have moved to after the clearances, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gillian

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Little Family of Stirlingshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 April 21 09:31 BST (UK) »
It is always problematic picking a family of the same name much earlier in the past and then working forwards. That way you can expend a great deal of time only to find there is no connection.

What was your great grandmother's name and when and whom did she marry? With luck, progress can be made through the statutory certificates and censuses.