Author Topic: Trying to find records for parents C 1830.  (Read 39894 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find records for parents C 1830.
« on: Sunday 25 April 21 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone.  I have a problem which needs the above information to solve.

Couple from Scotland immigrate to Australia 1862 with two young children:

Alexander McFadyen  [born 1837 Ayrshire, Scotland Died 1909 Australia] and wife Christina, about whom I know little that is accurate or otherwise.

Married  18th February 1859.

Children:  James Clelland McFadyen 1859 -1921 Born Scotland, Died Australia
                Anthony McFadyen   1861 - 1863   Born Scotland, Died Australia

I have no birth information for either child

They also had a daughter, un-named in 1860 in Scotland.  The search gives her mother as Christina Brown. 
The lady I need to know about is Christina Brown.  I have got a copy of her death certificate here in Queensland, Australia giving the DOD as 24th January 1916 age 74. Using that her DoB would be C 1842. The Death Cert also has her parents as James Brown and Isabell.

I have seen where these names are conflicting as to James and Isabel as her parents.  I have also seen Broun  and Brune used as Christina's last name.

Once in Australia I have traced their other children. 

I have tried Scotlands People but couldn't find anything that helped. and usual search engines.  Trees are also conflicting with information that I also cannot verify. 

Any help with her birth parents would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards, Essnell

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find records for parents C 1830.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 April 21 12:13 BST (UK) »
Scotland's People has a listing of the marriage of Alexander McFadgan to Christina Brown in Dalmellington in 1859. Her marriage certificate should give you the correct names of her parents.

The only 1861 census listing that looks anything like them is in Edinburgh
Alexander McFadzen, 26, coachman, born Midlothian
Christe McFadzen, 32, wife, born Glasgow

Never trust anything you find online, especially trees submitted to commercial web sites, unless and until you have seen an original document to verify the information.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 April 21 12:25 BST (UK) »
Alexander "McFadgan", ironstone miner, aged "20", who could not write, son of the late Samuel "Mc Fadgan" and his wife, Elizabeth Cameron, married Christina Brown, aged "20", daughter of James Brown, ironstone miner, and his wife, the late Agnes Beveridge, at Burnfoothill, Dalmellington, Ayrshire, om 18th February 1859. Both were resident at Burnfoothill.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 April 21 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian and GR2.

Firstly I never trust trees. That's why I do the research for myself.  The only use trees are is that, like other things, they give clues, and one must check and recheck if possible.

Now this information from both you and GR2 is something I have seen but it does not fit with Christina's death certificate information, that her Mother's name was Isabell and no last name given. 

My thought is that Christina would have told that information to her relatives at some stage and she obviously didn't tell them her mother was Agnes.

Do you people know when Agnes Beverage died.   Or when did Agnes marry James Brown. 

In the mean time I'll try finding those or anything else I can think of.

Knowing that might help with my thinking here. 

Thanks for helping and the great information.

Essnell

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 April 21 18:23 BST (UK) »
Generally speaking, if there is a conflict between information on a marriage certificate and information on a death certificate, the marriage certificate is more likely to be right because the information on it is supplied by the person getting married, whereas the information on a death certificate is, by definition, not provided by the person who has died, and it's not unusual for a grandson who never knew his grandmother to get it wrong.

You'll probably find eventually that Christina's grandmother was Isabel(l)(a), or something along those lines. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 April 21 23:18 BST (UK) »
Generally speaking, if there is a conflict between information on a marriage certificate and information on a death certificate, the marriage certificate is more likely to be right because the information on it is supplied by the person getting married, whereas the information on a death certificate is, by definition, not provided by the person who has died, and it's not unusual for a grandson who never knew his grandmother to get it wrong.

You'll probably find eventually that Christina's grandmother was Isabel(l)(a), or something along those lines.

I agree. I have Isabels in my tree, several different spellings. SP is quite sensitive with the accuarcy bewteen the criteria in the search and the results.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 April 21 01:08 BST (UK) »
Hi  Everyone,

GR2.  Thank you it has arrived and i have read it  carefully.   It also  noted, in Brackets, that Agnes Brown was deceased at the time of Christina's marriage. so i am now about to try to find that little piece of info ..Agnes's Death date.   As well as that one of the witnesses is I.T. Brown.

Yes it is possible that Isabella is a relative  - may be grandmother or aunt, or step mum. 

Regards Essnell

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 April 21 02:13 BST (UK) »
A James Dewar Brown married an Agnes Beveridge March 1835 New Monkland, Lanarkshire.

1841 Census New Monkland, Lanarkshire

James Brown    30     Coal Miner   (born Scotland but not in Lanarkshire)
Agness Brown   25                                             ditto
Isabella Brown  5                          born Lanarkshire
Christina Brown 3                          born Scotland but not in Lanarkshire

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 April 21 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette7.

Thank you for the 1841 information. Thus sisters and just two years apart.
So her sister, Isabell was a witness which often was the case.   

I think I shall still try to get Agnes's death date.

Kind regards
Essnell.