Author Topic: Trying to find records for parents C 1830.  (Read 39987 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find records for parents C 1830.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 May 21 16:20 BST (UK) »
She certainly is! Master Sleuth  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 May 21 17:57 BST (UK) »
She certainly is! Master Sleuth  ;)

How very kind  ;D

I do like a good puzzle...

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 May 21 18:00 BST (UK) »
Thinking of Alexander maybe being illegitimate, I saw this entry in Midlothian for mother and son? Both showing as born in the county. A/try have entry as Camann, edited to Cameron:

Elizabeth Cameron 29 Hat trim
Alexander Cameron 4

Address: Bailie Fyfes Close, Edinburgh Trinity College

Yes, I did come across that entry and wondered if it could be them. Haven't had much luck tracking either down in 1851 - but there are more Camerons than there are Browns, it seems...  :o
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 May 21 18:31 BST (UK) »
Ruth, with your mention of the middle name Harper for first born daughter Isabella...

Came across this earlier which I now think may be James Dewar Brown's family https://ancestors.familysearch.org/en/93WN-XFK/andrew-brown-1804-1864 Potentially father also James Dewar Brown and mother Isabella Harper?

Indeed - I've found seven children born to James Dewar Brown and Isabella Harper so far:
  • Elizabeth Brown b. 1801 Inveresk, Midlothian; d. 1868 Rutherglen, Lanarkshire; m. George Bainbridge
  • William Harper Brown b. 1803 Inveresk, Midlothian
  • Andrew Brown b. 1804 Inveresk, Midlothian; d. 1866 Dalkeith, Midlothian; m. Janet Lamb
  • Christian Brown b. 1807 Inveresk, Midlothian; d. 1870 Inveresk, Midlothian; m. William Chadwick
  • James Dewar Brown b. 1809 Newton, Midlothian; d. ?; m. Agnes Beveridge
  • Isabella Brown b. 1812 Newton, Midlothian
  • John Brown b. 1814 Newton, Midlothian

Not tracked all of them down yet - although your link about the paternity decree in relation to Isabella is interesting. I think I have her in 1841 and 1861, but struggling to find her in 1851 and later.

Ruth

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 07 May 21 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi ruthhelen
Re the births of John and Isabella in Newton. FYI, that would most probably be Newton-on-Ayr, Ayrshire as it is now known.
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 07 May 21 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi ruthhelen
Re the births of John and Isabella in Newton. FYI, that would most probably be Newton-on-Ayr, Ayrshire as it is now known.

No, this was Newton in Midlothian, which is just outside Dalkeith.

Ruth

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 May 21 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone ,
I am totally blown away by the response to my post.  One enormous thank you for all the hard work done by so many. Ruthhelen you are a gem.

I have been absent from computer for 36 hours and so many new posts. 

Just looking through all of these I am sure that this is the right family and there are two generations involved here by the looks of things.  Far more than I expected. The links posted are awsome.

I shall check everything through and post again.

Thank you so much .

Essnell

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 May 21 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi ruthhelen and everyone,

About 3 posts back you list the children of James Dewar Brown and Isabella Harper. the first child in the list is Elizabeth Brown b 1801 Inveresk, Midlothian, D. 1868 Rutherglen, Lanarkshire and married George Bainbridge.    :o

This may or may not be significant but in first searching this family I had information on two families immigrating  to Australia.
 One was a Moffatt family and one was a Currie family the year was 1863, the ship the Cairngorm.

On this voyage there was another young male about about 20 : Robert Bower Bainbridge. He was alone. I had been asked to help match up some DNA matches and help in finding missing relatives for a probable cousin.
So in my searching  then I ascertained that he first had a child with one of the Moffatt girls but did not marry her.
 3 years later he married a Currie girl.   
Theory is that the Currie girl was really his choice for wife but was still too young to marry so he waited. In the interim having a child to Miss Moffatt. 
It was also thought that this child eventually became a gt grandfather to my probable cousin indicated by her DNA results. This is most likely correct.

I worked out that Robert's parents were  probably George Bainbridge and Elizabeth Brown. 

At the time I was endeavouring to link another person from the DNA matches for my Cousin. It was then that Robert Bower Bainbridge became important as he was this match persons  Gt Grandfather.

After establishing the links between the cousins we moved on to others and I never found the connection further back to the Brown family. 

Therefore I am positive you have found the correct family. 

Robert was born 15th August 1840 Dunfirmlin, Fife, Scotland .

From all of the above it looks like there are two lines back to the one family of Browns. 

On the issue of the McFadyen family are there any other ways of spelling this name? Samuel was McFadgan  and I have seen McFadyean.

I am just so excited about all of this.

Thank you so very very much
Essnell

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 08 May 21 13:55 BST (UK) »
Spellings were fluid at this time and you will find many variants for many surnames. McFadyen is a particularly tricky one so use where possible wildcards. For example, Scotlands People, Ancestry and Freecen all have the option of using a wildcard ' * '. When I was searching for Samuel, I searched for Sam* M*cf*n  ::) The other problem we face sometimes is transcriptions, particulary which challenging handwriting!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk