Author Topic: Trying to find records for parents C 1830.  (Read 5596 times)

Offline Zeus2468

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find records for parents C 1830.
« Reply #63 on: Friday 13 May 22 10:53 BST (UK) »
hi everyone, this is an absolutely fascinating thread & I'm pleased to have found it. Take me a minute to comprehend it all.

in reference to the some of the names mentioned, I am descended from Janet Hynd Bainbridge and Thomas Hetherington, they were my great great grandparents.

Interested in the McFadyen name, i have seen that name pop up in a quite a few of my DNA matches family trees.

Anyhow, just saying hi and thanks for the discussion here :)

Julie

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 14 May 22 01:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie     Welcome to RootsChat....
This  is Essnell who started this discussion.  It is so great that you have found this .

I am really pleased to find a connection to Janet and Thomas.  Thank you for posting.
  Do you know much about your Gt Gt Grandparents?   For me, they are part of a much larger search on behalf of several cousins.
Interesting that the McFadyen name is showing in your matches. There is connection that I will check out for you from my records later today.   Memory isn't always perfect.

For now it's great to connect.

Essnell

Offline Zeus2468

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 14 May 22 03:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Essnell, thanks for your reply 😊

I know pretty much the same as you,  no one can find the marriage certificate of Thomas and Janet in New York or why they came back. 

My great grandparents were Janet Hetherington, youngest daughter and John Henderson who emigrated to Australia when my grandfather was a few years old. Sponsored a lot of people for migration then my grandparents also did.i recently got in contact with a 2C1R who filled me in on a lot and remarked he has more relatives in Australia than Scotland.

I find it really interesting how interconnected the families of Henderson Hetherington and Bainbridge were.(Robert bower was mentioned earlier)

For example Janet Hynd and Robert Bower Bainbridge had an older brother William that migrated  to Canada. Had a daughter Elizabeth *Lizzie* Bainbridge who married into the Doctor family in Kansas. She had a daughter whose name I can't remember who then had a son by the name of  Harry Goodwin. Harry was station in Australia during the war era, and would visit my grandparents as well as the Bainbridge family (from Robert Bower)....all of that stemmed from a postcard I kept that had written on the back of it 'Lizzie in the fields' and my mums memory of Harry Goodwin.  I worked out that Harry was the 2C1R to my grandfather...so I find it fascinating that rellos that were not particularly close and transcended across 3 countries were still in connection.

Yes it is great to connect and please keep me in mind 👍😊

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 14 May 22 05:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Zeus2468,

Thank you Julie, for sharing about your gt great grandparents.

Would you mind if I try again to get the USA marriage Cert?

I just made a small tree from your info -  so its fascination following the connections.  I suppose that there are connections in both Canada and Kansas,USA.

So Harry was in Australia during WW1 or WW11.  Were the Bainbridge family in the Brisbane/Ipswich area in Queensland?

The Henderson name is interesting as I have a distant Henderson in USA. but there are some known Hendersons also here in Australia -  wonder if there is any connection there as well. 

Are you still in Queensland.....I am.

Essnell

Offline Zeus2468

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 14 May 22 06:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Essnell, 

The Bainbridge family lived at Pullenvale which is not far from Ipswich. They were quite a known family, many descendants. I think some of the old  graves might still be out that way.  I just moved back to Ipswich after living up further north in Qld, so one weekend I may do a trip and see for myself. 

The Henderson's are everywhere, there is a reunion being planned for all the descendants of the original immigrants to Australia, the ones that were sponsored by my grandparents and great grandparent's.

And yes totally cool with the birth certificate,i am completely unfamiliar with USA and the process there.  I have spent many years looking into my  german side so now it's past time I turned my attention to the Scots lol. 

harry was in Australia during WW2,possibly after...relying on my mum's memory there as to when.

Offline Zeus2468

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 14 May 22 07:36 BST (UK) »
Here's a few photos.

Harry at the Bainbridge house in Pullenvale.

Unknown Hetherington or Henderson... (Well most likely) it looks turn of the century to me and no one knows for sure.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 14 May 22 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Zeus2468

Wow . Those images are fantastic. Might your mum remember who the other's are.  We could probably guess.  The gentleman in the kilt  ---- who was older Hetherington or Henderson.  I think probably Hetherington.
Having put the images up here, there's a possibility someone might know.  I certainly don't.  It might never happen but look what you found!!

I have a note for the marriage of Thomas and Janet - sometime between 1864 and 1866. I don't have a USA document - just hints to those dates.     Knowing the USA , it should be able to be found.   
It's odd that there seems not to be one. 

Going to look at that Scotsman again  ... be back

Essnell

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 14 May 22 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi again

The Scottish man photo;   so, to state the  obvious, it's a studio photo, but anything on the reverse that might help with knowing when or where it was taken? 

He looks to have grey hair so I think and older gentleman but if he was fair headed then ??? .

Essnell.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 15 May 22 04:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Zeus2468,

I have sent you PM.  [  Personal Message ]. Check your message box.

Essnell