Author Topic: Trying to find records for parents C 1830.  (Read 40006 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find records for parents C 1830.
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 18 June 22 06:12 BST (UK) »
Hi ForFarian,

Had a bit of trouble with this image.   But researching these today Yes they are Extent Rolls and i have seen several since the one I originally spotted whilst searching James Dewar Brown. 

These come from the city of Edinburgh Council files.  I have seen them for 1804 -1805  and
1809 -1810.
To me they look like either rates or some sort of land ownership - transfer records.

This is the heading of one of these rolls;  Source is Edinburgh city Council via Ancestry/

The year being 1804-1805 . The 1809-1810 has a similar Heading:
     Ok:  I cannot get the image to load as it is just too large.

Here's the link to one of the records:  Hope it works.

www.ancestry.com.au/imageviewer/collections/62333/images/62333_172028004420_0023-00229?treeid=&personid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=CEl23&_phstart=successSource&pId=113270

Would love to know if this is correct interpretation.
Cheers Essnell

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 18 June 22 09:10 BST (UK) »
Your link won't work, I'm afraid, because it came up with the Ancestry paywall. I don't and won't subscribe to Ancestry.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 18 June 22 10:12 BST (UK) »
For those who do gave access to Ancestry but are not using .au, just remove the .au and it comes up.

They look a little like the Valuation Rolls but just seem to list  Proprietors and Tenants.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Saturday 18 June 22 10:16 BST (UK) »
The description of them:

About Edinburgh, Scotland, Extent Rolls, 1580-1847

This collection includes extent rolls from Edinburgh, Scotland, dated between 1580 and 1847. Extent rolls were tax documents comprising information about rental owners' properties. Owners were not taxed for unoccupied properties. For most of this collection's time period, property addresses were not included, however, after 1820, property addresses were included more often........

The extent rolls were created by officials working for the city of Edinburgh.

Extent rolls created from the late 1500s to the early 1700s recorded how much tax the king expected from each royal burgh. These taxes were collected sporadically when the central government needed additional funds. By the 1700s, the extent rolls included information about taxes collected on an annual basis by local authorities for local projects, such as bridges and harbours. This collection begins in 1748 when the original four tax districts were each split into two sections. During the 1800s, many burghs stopped collecting extent taxes, and Parliament eliminated the extent tax in 1896.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Saturday 18 June 22 10:22 BST (UK) »

Essnell -there are lots more about them if you go to the Card Catalogue section and put in

Edinburgh, Scotland, Extent Rolls, 1580-1847

in the search

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 19 June 22 02:42 BST (UK) »
Hi ....
Forfarian, That's ok. I couldn't get anything to add to my post re an image. Tried all I know and no -  it was simply too large.  I will send you the image in a PM.

Gadget: Thankyou for looking and all the explanations.  I just had not heard of these, so the one I found will tell me who was working that piece of land for that owner.  My Page calls the owners Heritors and Possessors are the tenants.
That becomes quite interesting. I shall definitely read more about them and their use. These must be different to the Sasines.
One of the fellows on the page i first found was Dewar Brown  in 1809 - 1810.  I wonder if he fits in. ???

Essnell