Author Topic: Trying to find records for parents C 1830.  (Read 39998 times)

Offline RonaArm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find records for parents C 1830.
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 06 February 22 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully this time I have inserted the image.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi RonaArm and Forfarian,
Great to see Rona Arm 's posting and how she interpreted what there is.  Re the image to me it is Ruthin. Its an old capital "R".     A capital "P" doesn't have the extended leg. 

I'm struggling here for the moment as it is quite sometime since I dealt with this part of the tree. 
A whole lot more has been happening so I need to go back and look it all up. 
However I recall that I found something about Isabella. 

I just wanted you to know I have see the postings.  I am printing them so I can digest it all .
May I ask if or how RonaArm is connected to this family. 

Kind regards Essnell.

Offline RonaArm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Essnell,

My connection to the family is:

Christina Brown & Alexander McFadyen
Alexander McFadyen & Susan Mary Kean
Lena McFadyen & William Henry Seemann

I do agree it looks more like Ruthin - I just can't find anywhere in Scotland called Ruthin :)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi RonaArm, 

Found the place not in Scotland but it looks like it is in Wales from the names of the places.

try this link
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Ruthin 

This is what it says:    There is also a map.

"A borough, a market and assize town, a parish, and the head of a poor-law union, in the hundred of Ruthin, county of Denbigh; 8 miles (SE by S) from Denbigh, and 210 miles (NW by W) from London. ..... This parish and that of Llanrhud, which were originally one, are bounded on the south by the parish of Llanfair, east by the same and that of Llanarmon yn Ial, west by Llanfwrog, and north by Llanbedr. ..... The surface is beautifully diversified, the eastern part of Llanrhud embracing a portion of the Clwydian hills, and the western part of Ruthin the meanderings of the river Clwyd, with the fertile and luxuriant meadows on its banks. ..... The agricultural produce is equally rich and abundant, yielding fine crops of wheat, barley, oats, potatoes, and turnips, together with grass and hay." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

The ancient parish of Ruthin contained the two townships of Cae'rfallen and Tre'rcastell. "

It seems to be the only place in the UK  and if that is where Elizabeth was born  there might be a UK birth record.

I shall look that up and come back later.

Essnell

Offline RonaArm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 03:08 GMT (UK) »
The record also says she was born in Midlothian though - it's got the ditto mark under the entry for James.  So, I think the enumerator was more likely making up the spelling for a town.  I doubt that they would mix Midlothian and a town in Wales.   As the 1841 census says that Isabella was born in Lanarkshire and the 1861 census says Airdrie Lanarkshire, I think it's possible that the whole entry is wrong.  But I'm kind of hoping James got the birth location of Christina and Isabella mixed up - wishful thinking I know!

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi RonaArm, 
The time on your post is 03.08 , surely you are not up as 3am..  Well it happens here too. I am in Australia and it is 10 mins to 2 o'clock pm. 

Can I ask you to wait 24hrs whilst I get all the info out.  I have a sneaking suspicion that Elizabeth Beveridge came from England but I won't confirm that till I check. 

You can also PM me - you have enough posts.   Just click on the icon under my name.

Regards Essnell.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 08:41 GMT (UK) »
I discounted Ruthin in Wales from the outset because the county is clearly Mid Lothian.

I agree that the first letter is R, and it has crossed my mind to wonder if it is Ratho?
https://www.scottish-places.info/parishes/parfirst761.html

There are also Rathen in Aberdeenshire, Rathven in Banffshire and several Ruthvens.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 09:28 GMT (UK) »
HI Forfarian,

Thank you so much for the information re Ruthin.   Some research is needed.

I would have thought they would have been not far from Airdie. It had me stumped.  Any clues on where Ironstone was mined? please.. 

Thank you again
Regards  Essnell

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 09:55 GMT (UK) »
There was ironstone mining in many parts of central Scotland. The ironstone and coal seams are all part of the Coal Measures.

I've attached a screenshot from the Geology of Britain Viewer showing where the Coal Measures are (pale grey). Unfortunately I had to resize it because it was far too big a file to attach here, but you can always go to the web site https://mapapps.bgs.ac.uk/geologyofbritain/home.html? and zoom in to see it at a larger and more legible size.

I've found a few men who were sometimes iron miners and sometimes coal miners.

South Wales, where Ruthin is, is also a mining area.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.