Author Topic: Trying to find records for parents C 1830.  (Read 39999 times)

Offline RonaArm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find records for parents C 1830.
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 09:56 GMT (UK) »
It appears that James is a coal miner in the earlier days.  He's a collier (coal miner) according to his marriage in 1835 the 1841 census and 1851 census.  Then he appears as an ironstone miner in 1859 and 1861.

Thanks for the map Forfarian.  I had been searching online for something similar when you posted!

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, Just a little info on the child McFadyen, born 1860  Bothwell, Lanarkshire, this child died at 15 days old and was unnamed. her parents were Alexander McFadyen, And Christina Brown. The father Alexander registered the death he was unable to sign the certificate ie he put his mark a x. Alexander was a Iron Miner. it also states the child was buried Holytown, Church Yard. Regards Jonn.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 11 February 22 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi All.

Forfarian, I agree with you about Ratho being the best possible place for the  Ruthin entry .
  In Airdie and Edinburugh. it on close examination It almost looks like Rath... So this looks very likely. where Isabella/Elizabeth was born. 

Thankyou also for the map it is very helpful.

Jonn, Yes. they did have a baby girl who died. It is recorded on a document from Australia.

I wonder if Holytown has a record of that burial.  Perhaps Scotlands People may.

Essnell.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 11 February 22 09:57 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if Holytown has a record of that burial.  Perhaps Scotlands People may.
No.

1860 is the last year when a death certificate included the place of burial.

It is possible that the burial records for Holytown might contain a record, but it won't be at Scotland's People because they don't look after burial registers. If there are surviving burial records from 1860 they should be in the care of North Lanarkshire Council https://www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/directories/cemeteries
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 11 February 22 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I agree with you about Ratho being the best possible place for the  Ruthin entry .
  In Airdie and Edinburugh. it on close examination It almost looks like Rath
Not sure what you mean by in Airdie and Edinburugh.

Wherever it is, it cannot be in both Airdrie in the parish of New Monkland, county of Lanark and in one of the parishes in Edinburgh in the county of Midlothian (also known as County of Edinburgh).

And Ratho is a separate parish again, not in either New Monkland or any of the Edinburgh parishes at that time. (It is now part of the City of Edinburgh council area, but that's only since the reorganisation of local government in 1975 so is irrelevant for family history purposes.)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
Thank you all for all your replies. All are very much appreciated.

I was thinking over this family and I have a small query.

Two of the males are called James "Dewar" Brown.
The name Dewar is alien to me so I am hoping someone might know if this is a usual First Name, Given Name  or a Second Name type used as a first name,  and where this name might have come from. - such as Scotland, Ireland etc...
Thanks again, 
Essnell

Offline RonaArm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 05:00 GMT (UK) »
It's a surname.  There are quite a few Dewar's in Scotland.  Most likely a female Dewar married a male Brown at some stage and it's become a family name.  For example, in Liberton near Edinburgh a Magdalen Dewar married a James Brown in 1697 and a Margaret Dewar married a Robert Brown in 1701.  (There are more, but these were just two examples reasonably close to Edmonstone where James Dewar Brown, child of James Dewar Brown & Isabel Harper had children).

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 08:54 GMT (UK) »
According to The Surnames of Scotland it is from Gaelic deoir or deoireach, from deoradh, a pilgrim, later an official designation which afterwards became a family name. In medaeval times the deoradh was a person who had custody of the relic of a saint.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

That is really good to know. Just what I wanted to know. It could also be why so many had this as a second name.. Maybe.

Thank you once again
 Essnell.