Author Topic: WW2 uniform, please tell me what this lady did?  (Read 3904 times)

Offline Ron Preece

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 uniform, please tell me what this lady did?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Dulciebun, Here are a few more photos my mother took of her mates at Hatfield House.

Offline Ron Preece

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Dulciebun, This is Hatfield House (now owned by The National Trust). The ATS girls lived in a shed at the bottom of the garden. You might like to Google, ATS Remembered- History of Searchlight Operations.  Ron.

Offline Ron Preece

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Dulciebun, The girls efforts were very much appreciated, mum took this photo during a visit by Queen Mary.

guest259648

« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 07:45 BST (UK) »
The girls efforts were very much appreciated, mum took this photo during a visit by Queen Mary.

Hi Ron, huge thanks for these tremendous photos.
They give us a splendid picture of the uniforms, surroundings, and camaraderie - I can clearly sense an element of fun, as well as a feeling of great purpose and work-to-be-done.

Queen Mary, eh? That's a shot to be treasured.
D xx

Offline Ron Preece

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, Glad you liked the photos. I have one more but sadly the large file size means I can't post it on this platform. It is a group photograph of about sixty of the girls in uniform and looking very smart. It must have been taken at the end of the war as on the reverse are many "good wishes" messages to my mother and talk of "getting back to civvy street". The end of the war, and a job well done. I think you'll agree. Ron.