Author Topic: Edward Hanley & Mary Tracey  (Read 1797 times)

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Gt Grandmother-Margaret Dickenson
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Hanley & Mary Tracey
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 May 21 21:18 BST (UK) »
Couple of points to possibly help. Edward appears on the 1851 aged 36 census as below.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG2S-PW9

The daughter Anner (image looks like ONNER) who appears aged 2 is in fact as below

HANLY, HONORA       mother's maiden name TRACY 
GRO Reference: 1849  M Quarter in STOCKPORT  Volume 19  Page 278--Heaton Norris comes under the Stockport registration district.

Quote:Their eldest daughter Julia was also born 1851 in Ireland.I dont know when they moved to UK.

According to the 1851 census Julia is aged 4(1846/7) so the move to the Uk can be narrowed down to between c1847-mq 1851 when Honora was born.

Edwards age jumps 20 years between 1851-61 but Mary's is consistent 22 then 32 and loses 4 years in 1871 when she is 38.

Seemingly Mary is a widow on 1871 census. A daughter Alice is born sq 1871 so Mary was probably pregnant with Alice at time of census. Cannot find at present a death for Edward as yet, and was Alice Edward's daughter?

HANLEY, ALICE       mmn  TRACY 
GRO Reference: 1871  S Quarter in STOCKPORT  Volume 08A  Page 70

John
I too have been looking at this family on Family Search & noticed how their ages change from time to time.Very confusing to say the least.Thank you for your info
More confusion for myself as looking at the birth of Honora in Heaton Norris 1849.I was under the impression that Julia b.1851 Ireland was their eldest daughter.On the 1861c Julia is 16 b.1845 Ireland & Ann who I am now presuming could be Honora is 13 & born Stockport.1848/9
Considering Edward was a Schoolmaster one would think the information given could have more clarity.
Lancashire- Moss,Broadbent,Olley,Dobson,Dickenson,
Norfolk-Olley,Knowles,Bunn,Pooley,Scott,Vince
Caithness & Dumfries - Evans,Sinclair,Mackay
Belfast-Antrim - Mackay,Connor,Bunting
Liverpool,Wigan & Southport - Ball,Taylor
Isle of Man - Harp,Dougherty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Knighton,Radnorshire - Evans, Broadhurst
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 May 21 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty, as you say and documents record ages do fluctuate with this family. However, having found Julia aged 4 in 1851 does give a very good indication of her birth c1847 in Ireland. I decided to follow Julia as far as possible. Have found her with mother Mary until 1901 census in Stockport and always born "Ireland". But in 1911 she is found aged 64 (c1847) as a cook in Durham, as below and it gives a birthplace

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWHP-6YK

Also a good contender for her death below.

Deaths Dec 1935   
Hanly    Julia    89    Sunderland    10a   558

Whilst it does nor answer your original post it does give some good clues.

John

Should have added, do you want any other info re who Edward & Mary's children married apart from Margaret whom you have details.

John

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 May 21 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty, as you say and documents record ages do fluctuate with this family. However, having found Julia aged 4 in 1851 does give a very good indication of her birth c1847 in Ireland. I decided to follow Julia as far as possible. Have found her with mother Mary until 1901 census in Stockport and always born "Ireland". But in 1911 she is found aged 64 (c1847) as a cook in Durham, as below and it gives a birthplace

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWHP-6YK

Also a good contender for her death below.

Deaths Dec 1935   
Hanly    Julia    89    Sunderland    10a   558

Whilst it does nor answer your original post it does give some good clues.

John

Should have added, do you want any other info re who Edward & Mary's children married apart from Margaret whom you have details.

John
Wow! This is intriguing.What is very obvious is that all the Irish ladies at the Convent are Co-Occupiers whilst the English females are Servants.There are no others listed & yet apart from Julia they are all in the teaching profession.These are probably the Nuns.
I am not requiring any other info re:Edward & Mary's children thank you.I am very grateful for all you have helped me with.
Betty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 May 21 14:12 BST (UK) »
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 May 21 14:16 BST (UK) »
Several Hanleys recorded in area mid 1800s, at time of Griffiths valuation, including an Edward Hanley at Gortgallan townland:

https://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/roscommon/cloontuskert.htm

https://www.townlands.ie/roscommon/ballintober-south/cloontuskert/cloontuskert/gortgallan/
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 May 21 14:25 BST (UK) »
Several Hanleys recorded in area mid 1800s, at time of Griffiths valuation, including an Edward Hanley at Gortgallan townland:

https://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/roscommon/cloontuskert.htm

https://www.townlands.ie/roscommon/ballintober-south/cloontuskert/cloontuskert/gortgallan/
All very interesting!and I didn't think I would get any information back on this family as they had only put Ireland as a place of birth on the UK censuses.Thank you.
Cheshire - Dickenson
Caithness - Sinclair