Author Topic: Gulielmi/William Alderman and his wife Elizabeth.  (Read 722 times)

Offline gilbertlouise

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gulielmi/William Alderman and his wife Elizabeth.
« on: Sunday 25 April 21 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

Could I please have some help and sources to back up that help, please?

I have seen on this post,
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=648930.0
on Elizabeth Gulielmi/William and husband Gulielmi/William Alderman.
I have a question...

The post says that Elizabeth was Baptised in Great Horwood, Bucks 1659...thing is the Bucks FHS have said that they don't have anything on William or his wife Elizabeth under Great Horwood before their children were born there. I can't even find record of her surname.

I have seen some have her as Elizabeth Freeman. And some Elizabeth Gulielmi. No sources to prove either.
I did see on the post that they had seen it was Great Harwood and not Great Horwood, but it was still assumed to be in Bucks.

Where did the confirmation of Elizabeth's surname and baptism come from?

I also have another issue. The supposed parents of William, that alot of trees on various sites have, are John Alderman 1637 Cranford St John and Dorothy Sargent 1631/2 Rothwell, Northamptonshire.
I cannot find any sources that say William has come from Rothwell to Great Horwood.
The same trees that have John and Dorothy as parents, have William as baptised in Great Horwood in 1659/60...if thats the case, William was already born and baptised before John and Dorothy were married in 1663 Rothwell.

John and Dorothy do have other children which were baptised in Rothwell, so why would William be the only one in Great Horwood? Esp as John and Dorothy stayed in Rothwell.

It's all a bit baffling. I think the family has become confused with another. I think John and Dorothy couldn't have been the only John and Dorothy because on their marriage record for 1663 it says that John is a Taylor. Seeing as they usually record the occupation when there is someone else of the same name in the same parish, its a big possibility that they have been confused. There was a son called William but it seems he was a different age and married someone else and stayed in Rothwell.

Please could someone help me make sense of all this?

I know that my Gulielmi/William Alderman and his wife Elizabeth were the ones living in Great Horwood when their children were baptised there because they are on the Swanbourne website...but there is not any confirmation of where William was before he was at Great Horwood. Apart from 'Probably from Northamptonshire'.

Thank you so much for your help :)

Gill.