Author Topic: adoption of children as a consequence of the famine  (Read 986 times)

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
adoption of children as a consequence of the famine
« on: Monday 26 April 21 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi folks

I don't have much experience of researching Ireland and know little about the history of the country (though I am doing a bit of reading these days).

A DNA test has revealed I have about 20 relatives worldwide who trace back to adjacent parts in the south of Leitrim, mostly Kiltubrid, Kiltoghart, Fenagh, Murhan & Mohill. Interestingly the family trees that I have examined don't link up at just one family. Instead I have about half a dozen surnames of families that seem to have lived close together in these regions and probably intermarried (and therefore mixed DNA) before there were records kept for us to read.

However, an alternate explanation I have wondered about is the impact of the famine on families at the time. I can imagine that many families were destroyed and that adoption of orphaned children was quite common. Would I be right in guessing that some of the mysterious connections I am seeing between familes with unexpected surnames could be a result of adoptions?

-DC

Offline Michelle Rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: adoption of children as a consequence of the famine
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 July 21 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi dtcoulson,

Not sure what information you've come across on adoptions during that period yet, if any and to be honest, I can't give you specific places to look. I can only share what I know of that period (family stories) and what I've gotten from going through records for my own family.

Adoption was definitely not a formal process in Ireland at that time and quite likely, if a family could not feed/keep their child or the parents had both died, it would be taken in by relatives; taken in by the church or sent to a farm, where it could be raised by staff to eventually work for them. Then there were some families that had the opportunity to get their children out of the country, albeit on the coffin ships to the US or Australia. If the child had no surviving relatives to make that decision, it would have gone to the workhouse and perhaps sent to the US or Australia.

I have about half a dozen surnames of families that seem to have lived close together in these regions and probably intermarried (and therefore mixed DNA) before there were records kept for us to read.

The diversity of romantic connections would have been limited. Remember this is back in an era where travel was a privilege and the population of your whole town was the equivalent to a present day housing estate. It's very likely that cousins married and there were brother-sister matches (siblings from one family marrying siblings from another)- it certainly happened in my family!

Furthermore, the mortality rate was higher and so were the marriage rates, meaning that often if a woman died young (say in childbirth of her 1st or 2nd), her husband would often marry her unwed sister, so she could take care of the child(ren). She would then go on to have children with him.

Surnames were also concentrated to counties in Ireland, bar a few very common names (e.g. there's Ryan's and Lynch's everywhere!), however, even with them there will be a root county (e.g. Ryan's, it's Limerick).

Your conundrum with the names is not necessarily to do with adoption. Look also at variation spellings, depending on what county's you are looking at. In my own family, I have a great x 3 grandfather, who's surname is Friary, yet his brother is Prior. Why? Because he's in Longford and his brother is in Cavan and there was mistake in the name when he registered at the Scrabby parish.
There are spelling mistakes aplenty in the Irish records, which morphed the names (e.g. Prior/Pryor/Friary/Friery/Freary/Frireagh) and there will be English and Irish versions used in some places on the border counties (e.g. Smith/Smyth/MaGouran/McGovern).

Look in to the history surrounding the surnames and you might find some of your answers.

Hope this info helps.

Michelle
Friary (Friery/ Friereagh)- Granard, Co. Longford/ Co. Cavan
Shannon- Dublin
Reddington/Reddin- Dublin
Ryan- Dublin & Galway
Lynch- Dublin/ Co. Meath
McKeon- Co. Longford
Magovern (Magouran/ Smith)- Co. Longford/ Co. Cavan
Brennan- Co. Wexford
Doyle- Sligo
Burns- Co. Monaghan
Rooney- Co. Monaghan
McKenna- Co. Monaghan/ Co. Meath
Campbell- Co. Monaghan
Clusky (McClusky)- Co. Monaghan
Kerley- Co. Monaghan
McGahan- Co. Monaghan
Halfpenny- Co. Monaghan
Fagan- Co. Meath

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: adoption of children as a consequence of the famine
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 July 21 13:34 BST (UK) »

The diversity of romantic connections would have been limited

Look also at variation spellings, depending on what county's you are looking at. In my own family, I have a great x 3 grandfather, who's surname is Friary, yet his brother is Prior. Why? Because he's in Longford and his brother is in Cavan and there was mistake in the name when he registered at the Scrabby parish.
There are spelling mistakes aplenty in the Irish records, which morphed the names (e.g. Prior/Pryor/Friary/Friery/Freary/Frireagh) and there will be English and Irish versions used in some places on the border counties (e.g. Smith/Smyth/MaGouran/McGovern).

Many marriages would have been for practical or family or economic or financial or property purposes rather than romantic. Romance doesn't pay rent, buy a cow or put food on the table.
A brother & sister marrying a sister & brother may have been a way of avoiding the need for a dowry. No money, land or livestock would change hands. A family's heifer could remain in the field where it was born instead of accompanying the daughter down the lane to her new husband's family's field. 

Spelling of names wasn't standardised. There were different spellings of names not mistakes.
Some letters were interchangeable. Francis is Proinseas or Proinisias in Irish; Penelope is Fionnula; Phelim/Felim. Some letters used in English spelling aren't in the Irish alphabet.

Adoption wasn't a legal process until 20th century.
Ireland had a long tradition of fosterage.
Daniel O'Connell was adopted by a wealthy, childless uncle.
Cowban