Author Topic: Possible suicide 1921  (Read 869 times)

Offline gail3657

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Possible suicide 1921
« on: Monday 26 April 21 15:04 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather died by drowning in the River Clyde in November 1921 on his 62nd birthday. I have not ben able to find out if this was deliberate i.e. suicide or (v. unlikely) murder or an accident. Any ideas about how I would find this information? The death register has a corrected entry, presumably following an investigation, which says the cause of death was asphyxia due to drowning but nothing about the circumstances.

Thanks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Possible suicide 1921
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 April 21 17:22 BST (UK) »
If there is no reference in the RCE (Register of Corrected Entries) to murder or suicide, I think you can safely assume that the authorities had concluded that it was neither.

I've seen one or two death certificates which include suicide as the cause of death. I've not actually seen one that included the word 'murder' (or 'homicide' or 'manslaughter') but if it was there is no reason why it would not be mentioned.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible suicide 1921
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 00:48 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for any newspaper reports?