Author Topic: Old Yorkshire photograph for dating (and any ideas on identification) please  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Yorkie1975

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any thoughts on the date of this photograph would be massively appreciated (together with the reasons for why that date can be determined). This was found in a collection of photographs held by my parents. Neither of them know who it is. There is no writing on the back to identify it or any indication of the photo studio. My family are from Yorkshire - particularly in and around Scarborough and Malton. Knowing the rough date should help me whittle down who it could be.

Given my family's roots, I strongly suspect it is a member of the Cockerill family (though it could alternatively be a Waudby, Harrison or Anstey/Anstee). I realise it is a massive long-shot - but if anyone does know who this is, that would be fantastic.

A big thanks

M

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old Yorkshire photograph for dating (and any ideas on identification) please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Yorkie and welcome to Rootschat Could you post the back please as it help with dating, it looks like a postcard photo and if so, the style and stamp box would help. Also, if you would like it repairing, amend the title of your post by using the Modify to include a repair.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Yorkie1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Old Yorkshire photograph for dating (and any ideas on identification) please
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

Thanks for taking a look at this. Re posting the back - I'm afraid I won't have access to the photograph for the next month. Sorry about that.

M

Offline Yorkie1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 June 21 10:20 BST (UK) »
Here is the back of the photograph.  I hope it helps with date identification.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

M

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 June 21 10:57 BST (UK) »
It looks 1902-1907 to me.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 June 21 11:30 BST (UK) »
This stamp box was in use from 1918-36.
This looks closer to 1918.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 June 21 11:58 BST (UK) »
i was hoping you were around, Jim. The online refs suggested around 1907 but wasn't sure  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Yorkie1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 June 21 12:19 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your very helpful thoughts on this.  I was hoping that the photograph was of a gentleman who died in late 1914. It would be great to know what the online references suggesting around 1907 are - and where can I find them?

If the conclusion is as Jim suggests - that it was a later date - its still very helpful to know that.

Really appreciated.

M

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 June 21 12:28 BST (UK) »
I closed my browser so have lost the link, but this site shows 1902 and 1907 backs if you scroll
down

https://hobbylark.com/collecting/how-to-date-a-postcard

(My searches keep showing US links, which aren't accurate for UK)