Author Topic: Cain/Kane family from Co Mayo help please  (Read 1755 times)

Offline russtobin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cain/Kane family from Co Mayo help please
« on: Monday 26 April 21 23:03 BST (UK) »
I'm currently doing a little bit of research for a friend and was wondering if someone could please help me?
The family name is Cain(Kane) and the first record I have for them in England is 1861.
Mother (widow) is Bridget(48) Mary(26) John(24) James(22) Dominick(20) all born in Co Mayo.
I think that the father is Alexander but I can find no trace of him ever having lived in England.
I'm looking for any information about their life in Ireland.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cain/Kane family from Co Mayo help please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 15:24 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.
Have you traced every member of the family through each census, marriage, children to see if they provided any more information about their place of birth or about the father, Alexander? Why do you think he was Alexander?
What were their occupations in 1861?
Where were they living?
Cowban

Offline russtobin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 16:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the reply. I can find no information for this family before 1861 using England records and I don't have access to Ireland records.
In 1861 the family are living in County Durham England and Bridget is already a widow. The grown up children are working as agricultural labourers or coal miners.
The research is further complicated by the different spelling of the family surname form census to census - Cain Caine Kane Curn.
I was hoping that someone with access to Ireland records might be able to help out.
The fathers name is a bit of a guess.
Thanks again for the reply.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 18:56 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the reply. I can find no information for this family before 1861 using England records and I don't have access to Ireland records.
In 1861 the family are living in County Durham England and Bridget is already a widow. The grown up children are working as agricultural labourers or coal miners.
The research is further complicated by the different spelling of the family surname form census to census - Cain Caine Kane Curn.

There is free access to many Irish records. That's the good news.

Most Ireland census records from 19th century were destroyed.

Registrations of births and deaths and Catholic marriages began 1864 so too late for your Kane family. Images of many Catholic parish registers are online on the free to view National Library of Ireland website.
https://registers.nli.ie/
 However, existence of registers from first half of 19th century is patchy for most parishes in Mayo.

Irish Genealogy Toolkit is a guide to researching Irish ancestors.
 http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/

Ireland Reaching Out is a free family history website & forum for the Irish diaspora. It's arranged by county and by civil parish. It also has regular background articles about many topics. https://irelandxo.com   

1861 census. Was it the family in Newbottle, County Durham, registration district Houghton-le-Spring? I've only looked at a transcription on Family Search. This has Scotland as place of birth for all of them. Is this a transcription error or does it indicate that the family spent time in Scotland prior to crossing the border to County Durham? (An Irish coal miner with my surname did that between 1851 & 1861.) If they were in Scotland they may have been on 1851 Scotland census.
Do any of them give a father's name when they married?
I couldn't find Dominick on a later census. There was however a young Dominick Kane in Newbottle on 1871 census + brother & sisters, with widowed mother, Winifred. Possible baptism for this Dominick December 1860, Houghton-le-Spring, father Patrick, mother Winifred (maiden surname MacNamara). There was a Patrick Kane, 45, a colliery labourer, born Ireland, in Newbottle on 1861 census with wife Mary Ann. Was Patrick a relative? Newbottle seems to have been a small place so everyone probably knew everyone else.

Btw Dominick ending in "k" instead of "c" is a Mayo spelling.
Other Kane variants I've come across are Cayne, Kyne, Keane. A Kane was godfather to a Mayo ancestor of mine, a neighbour of my family and perhaps a relative.

Cowban

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 19:40 BST (UK) »
1851 2393/124/24

Shows Bridget Caine, with children John, James and ‘Donik’ with a Gibbons family.
Could this be your family?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGJY-YJL
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline russtobin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 22:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

The family are living in Newbottle in 1851 and 1861 with Bridget as the head.

I'd like to try and identify the father if I can. Other researchers have named him as Alexander born in Co Mayo in 1803 but I can find no evidence to support this.

Thanks again.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 22:33 BST (UK) »
Have you got any of the children marrying? A marriage certificate would show a father’s name.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline russtobin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 22:39 BST (UK) »
They all married but I don't have access to marriage records. They cost £7 from GRO with lengthy leadtimes at the minute.