Author Topic: Double Entry with Different Spelling on Marriage Index  (Read 675 times)

Offline StevieB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Double Entry with Different Spelling on Marriage Index
« on: Tuesday 27 April 21 02:49 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I am interested to know how the following may happen?

In researching my 2X Greatgrandmother (Catherine Bryant nee Elmer), I noticed there are two entries for her on the marriage index with the same volume & page number (10a - 989), but with different spellings of her christian name (see attached).

The first entry shows it as "Catherine" and the second as "Katharine".

Many years ago, I received the marriage certificate from Gateshead registry office with a handwritten note stating the certificate was an exact copy and Katharine was spelt incorrectly by the vicar.

I never thought much about it as all other documents post 1987 show her name as Catherine.

It wasn't until I recently started to research her pre-1877 that her trail goes very hazy in that I cannot trace her birth despite knowing the year (1855/56), so I was wondering if she was born under a different name such as Kate or Katie etc. I need to undertake further research into this possibility.

This however would not explain the double entry, I can understand if there was one wrong entry, but why two?

As ever, your thoughts and opinions will be much appreciated.

Steve

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Double Entry with Different Spelling on Marriage Index
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 07:20 BST (UK) »
The marriage has been indexed twice for exactly the reason you have given - " the certificate was an exact copy and Katharine was spelt incorrectly by the vicar."  I assume she signed as Catherine.

Many Catherines are called 'Kate'.

What was her father's occupation?

Debra  :)

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 07:41 BST (UK) »
Multiple entries are common to account for variant spellings of first names and surnames, as well as surnames from former marriages.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 07:48 BST (UK) »
Family Search has the following:-
Catherine Elmer. Apr-Jun 1857. Abergavenny, Monmouthshire. Vol 11a, line 31.
I cannot find a corresponding entry on Free BMD, but there is this:- Catherine Elmes. Jun 1857. Vol 11a, line 71.
GRO Index gives mother 's maiden name as Green

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 09:49 BST (UK) »
Marriage details:-

Married on 5th May 1877 at St. Mary's Church, Heworth, Co. Durham

William Henry Bryant, bachelor, age 22, labourer of Felling. Father Joseph Bryant, mechanic.

Katherine Elmer, spinster, age 22, of Felling.  Father George Elmer, labourer.

Witnesses were Christina Jane Harper and Thomas Harper
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 10:12 BST (UK) »
Catherine Bryant wife of William in 1881 aged 26 says she was born in London (living in Portsea, Hampshire).
I don't see a corresponding birth registration or baptism.

However, in 1861 there is this person lodging at 10 Austin Street, Kings Lynn (household of William and Elizabeth Hancock):

Elizabeth Elmer lodger age 26 unmarried charwoman born Kings Lynn
Catherine Elmer daughter age 5                                  born London, Middlesex

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline StevieB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Thank you for your replies and information.

I never realised the index contained multiple entries due to spelling variations of names, so I appreciate your guidance.

Further thanks to Brentor boy, Girl Guide & Galium.

I was able to trace Catherine's marriage to "William Henry Bryant", who is my 2x Great Grandfather, but as others have discovered there appears to be no birth registration or baptism for Catherine.

In an attempt to square the circle, I did try to trace Catherine's father George Elmer (taken from marriage certificate), however there were no obvious results.  I was hoping to see Catherine (or Katie) as one of his children on a census.

After 10 hours of researching, I've decided to save the information I could find based on spelling variations etc. and come back to it another time.  I am thinking of adding all the discovered data to a spreadsheet and creating a truth table based on known information in the hope I have a eureka moment.

I am new to genealogy, so unsure if others adopt this approach, however I create in-depth spreadsheets for my work and believe I can create a formula that will narrow the field of possibilities.

I did see the census entry that Galium mentioned of a Catherine Elmer - daughter - age 5 in King Lynn.

If this is my Catherine, she seemed to move around the Country as she was born in London, possibly moved to Kings Lynn, was married in Gateshead and then lived and died in Portsmouth.

She comes across as an interesting lady, just wish she was easier to trace.

Thanks again for your help and advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Steve

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 May 21 10:09 BST (UK) »

Elizabeth Elmer lodger age 26 unmarried charwoman born Kings Lynn
Catherine Elmer daughter age 5                                  born London, Middlesex

Elizabeth Elmer might be a daughter of Arthur Elmer and Jane nee Hunt. Arthur from Norfolk married Jane Hunt in Birmingham in 1828. Some children b Birmingham some in King's Lynn. Family in West Brom in 1841, back in King's Lynn in 1851 without Elizabeth or Jane, although Arthur says he's married not widowed.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline StevieB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 May 21 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieL,

Many thanks for your suggestion.

I can recall coming across this census entry before and I've recorded it for further investigation.

Catherine Elmer is my first 1800's ancestor to cause me a little frustration, joining the dots prior to her marriage to my 2x Greatgrandfather doesn't seem obvious.

Her father stated on Catherine's marriage certificate is a George Elmer (see attached), but equally he has proved difficult to follow and I cannot match him with Elizabeth or find an obvious date of death for him.

I want to put aside a day, with a clear mind and logically go through all the possibilities combined with a further search.

Many thanks,

Steve