Author Topic: GRO indexes  (Read 3886 times)

Offline Gallicrow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: GRO indexes
« Reply #45 on: Monday 07 June 21 23:07 BST (UK) »
It's probably just a coincidence, but I found this on archive.org:
https://archive.org/details/elizabethannatma00lawr/page/18/mode/2up
"Elizabeth Ann Loring was her full name, and she was a little girl seven years old."

This book (Elizabeth Ann at Maple Spring) was written by Josephine Lawrence and published in 1923. The page I linked to above suggests that there was a book before this one that featured a heroine called Elizabeth Ann Loring.

Anyway, just throwing it out there that the name Elizabeth Ann Loring might have been plucked from a children's book.
Eva family in Devon and Cornwall.
Bowdidge family in Devon and Dorset.

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GRO indexes
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 10:19 BST (UK) »
Having researched pseudonyms for many years, they are formed generally by relative's names, places the person has been, or something like a name from a book etc. which attracts the pseudonym user. I must admit I wonder about writers like John Fearn or Lauran Paine who used over 50 names and how they created them.
The main issue in this case is the seemingly unsolvable question of what was Elizabeth Ann Loring's birth name which I must admit is lost in the mists of time. Perhaps it is now time to close the book on her and admit her origins were well disguised back in the 1930s, so we have little chance to uncover them today. Many thanks for all you thoughts on this matter.

John