Author Topic: 1953 Priestman's Dinner - a bit faded in places  (Read 899 times)

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1953 Priestman's Dinner - a bit faded in places
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 April 21 15:31 BST (UK) »
Quality machines...... Great info. When UK made things..

Thank you. 

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1953 Priestman's Dinner - a bit faded in places
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 April 21 17:14 BST (UK) »
Ooh, thank you for sharpening the photo japeflakes.  There is a Priestman Bros page on Facebook. Most comments are by a younger generation than myself and they all seem to have had a fulfilling and enjoyable working life with the company.
All those different types of metals with differing specifications on the photo were bought from various English and Scottish steel mills.   From the TV newsreels I gather we only have a couple of steel mills in the UK these days and they seem only to make standard run of the mill metal which isn't fit for building our own ships when we have to purchase from Scandinavia, etc.  Presumably, a bonus for not having such mills means we have cleaner air.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1953 Priestman's Dinner - a bit faded in placesCOMPLETED
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 May 21 15:01 BST (UK) »
I've spent alll afternoon trying to tame a couple of photos without any luck and this is one of them.

I hope somebody is able to give back the faces of some of these party goers. I'm thinking of uploading it onto the local town page on FB, where descendants can try to spot their folk.  It seems to me that some young men on this photo will be nearing the end of their apprenticeship and thus would be eligible for being called up to do National Service in either the navy, army or airforce.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke