Author Topic: 1953 Priestman's Dinner - a bit faded in places  (Read 901 times)

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1953 Priestman's Dinner - a bit faded in places
« on: Tuesday 27 April 21 16:35 BST (UK) »
I've spent alll afternoon trying to tame a couple of photos without any luck and this is one of them.

I hope somebody is able to give back the faces of some of these party goers. I'm thinking of uploading it onto the local town page on FB, where descendants can try to spot their folk.  It seems to me that some young men on this photo will be nearing the end of their apprenticeship and thus would be eligible for being called up to do National Service in either the navy, army or airforce.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1953 Priestman's Dinner - a bit faded in places
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 21:01 BST (UK) »

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 01:20 BST (UK) »
Fantastic result japeflakes.  Thank you very much.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 06:01 BST (UK) »
My try. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 13:11 BST (UK) »
Your try is far better than my try Peter  - thank you very much for your time.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 21:16 BST (UK) »
one from me
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Pat, you're another one who did what I couldn't do - and that was to give faceless people some features.   I'm much obliged.

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 April 21 08:58 BST (UK) »
Was "Priestman's" the Excavator people or?

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 April 21 15:28 BST (UK) »
Was "Priestman's" the Excavator people or?

Yes, that's right japeflakes.  Priestman Bros Ltd., was one of the Hull companies owned by one of the local Quaker families since the 1800s until the 1970s.  Our annual exports were 78% of our sales.  I remember one excited buzz around the factory was when Mr Philip Priestman had gone to visit our Australian branch in the 1960s after the Suez Crisis and on the flight back home he'd seen some development work in the vicinity of the Aswan Dam.   He cancelled the rest of his flight home and made a detour to the dam.  Initially the meeting was decidedly icy towards the English colonial power, but the hand of friendship was extended when Mr Philip informed them that our company had built the dam in the 1800s and knew the type of muddy sludge that posed difficulties.   He got the order for equipment re the high dam.

This is one type of Priestman's grabs and my dad is wearing the white coat.