Author Topic: Lyons Family in Gravesend 1871-1911  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lyons Family in Gravesend 1871-1911
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 April 21 16:20 BST (UK) »
On a possibly sad note, I think that not long (couple of months, tops) after the 1911 Census was compiled, Mary Lyons Sr passed away...

Are you looking at this one?

Mary Lyons Sep 1911 Gravesend

That lady was 57 and yours was 66

There's one died Mar 1918 Greenwich age 75 which would fit better age wise
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 April 21 16:23 BST (UK) »
John Lyons death Gravesend

Dec 1912 age 73
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline simon316

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 April 21 16:38 BST (UK) »
On a possibly sad note, I think that not long (couple of months, tops) after the 1911 Census was compiled, Mary Lyons Sr passed away...

Are you looking at this one?

Mary Lyons Sep 1911 Gravesend

That lady was 57 and yours was 66

There's one died Mar 1918 Greenwich age 75 which would fit better age wise
Ahh - excellent!  I was a week away from ordering her Death Certificate.  Well spotted.
No, I didn’t see John Lyons but the dates match the 1839 birthdate that i’ve always though more realistic.
I am really grateful.  A clear step in the right direction!!
Many thanks!!
Lyons - Cork, Ireland and Gravesend and Northfleet, Kent
Davis - West Drayton/Uxbridge, Middlesex and Broseley, Shropshire
Townsend - Hertfordshire
Kiff - Hertfordshire
Lester - Gravesend and Northfleet, Kent
Hone - Gillingham, Kent
Hales - Swale area, Kent

Offline simon316

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 08:27 BST (UK) »
Presume John would have been in Ireland and maybe married there before coming to England.

The 1911 should state how many years married to narrow it down. 

Back to Ellen there was a marriage in Strood - 1889 I think - but I discounted it as it linked to a Helen Dyke who was in Ireland in 1901 and single and a death as Ellen F Dyke in Middlesex.

Maybe it needs a second look.  Groom was Edward Dyke - no children.
Blimey.  I completely forgot about this reply.  I saw the hint later on Ancesrtry (the only site to have it) and wow!  Two birds with one stone.  This is indeed Ellen Lyons - mystery solved.  And Jane, her next youngest sister married Edward's brother Elias, with a life in the North Woolwich area on the boats.  The details fit and have no qualms.
So what am I left with?  In order, what happened Catherine Lyons, Harriet's twin?  What happened to Harriet herself, my great-grandmother.  She had another son William to whom I have a birth certificate for (July 29 1912, 10 Trafalgar Road, Gravesend, Kent).  She later appears as a witness at Johanna's wedding (the elusive "Annie") in 1910.  Did William ever marry?  No visible records.  And John Lyons Sr and Mary Lyons Sr - any details for either.  I believe Mary (full name Mary Ann as per children's baptismal records (they lived next to St George's Church but attended St John the Evangelist Church) was the daughter of a William Davis, born approx 1816 in Broseley in Shropshire and later married to a Sarah Gates in Uxbridge/West Drayton, however, I also believe Sarah to be a stepmother).  Bearing in mind the numerous descendants, from 10 children, I would hope there may be more interest from distant relatives
Though I have served further for Mary Lyons's death, bear in mind that with the numerous years of birth/ages, it could well be the same lady.
I still have no idea with the various dates as to where John Lyons Sr came from, exactly.  Any other ideas?  Birth Certificates and/or Marriage Certificates for all ten children available if necessary...
Lyons - Cork, Ireland and Gravesend and Northfleet, Kent
Davis - West Drayton/Uxbridge, Middlesex and Broseley, Shropshire
Townsend - Hertfordshire
Kiff - Hertfordshire
Lester - Gravesend and Northfleet, Kent
Hone - Gillingham, Kent
Hales - Swale area, Kent

Offline CF2224

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This is a bit of a long shot as I appreciate this thread was a while ago but my 2nd great grandmother was Mary Ann Lyon’s (daughter of Mary Ann Davis and John Lyons). She married a Henry Pearce and had 4 children, including my great grandfather. I have been told that Mary Pearce (formerly lyons) died young, perhaps shortly after her last child was born and I wondered as you’d been doing some research if you’d had any luck tracing her death details?