Author Topic: Butts School Belper in 1835 trade directory  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Butts School Belper in 1835 trade directory
« on: Tuesday 27 April 21 22:04 BST (UK) »
Looking for some local knowledge perhaps about a school in 'Butts' in Belper which is shown in the 1835 Pigots Directory under 'Academies and Schools' - 'Walker Joseph, Butts'. Whilst I can find information about the school built in 1849, I can't find anything about a previous building. Any help much appreciated.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Butts School Belper in 1835 trade directory
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Butts or The Butts is an area in Belper near to St. John’s Church.  Suggest that Joseph Walker
was teaching from home.

Originally the place where archers practiced.

This is front page of 1841 census for that area, if you have access to ancestry

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/8978/images/CULHO107_178_180-0512?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=f5608d4ab8b905cf87920fda96e84409&usePUB=true&_phsrc=uKJ11&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=821690

HO 107/180/5  Hundred of Appletree, Parish of Duffield, Belper Chap.

Do you have any other information of Joseph i.e. date of birth, Walker was a common name in Belper with lots having the name Joseph mainly Nailors or Framework knitters.

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 14:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that, very helpful. Perhaps if Joseph was teaching from home he may have moved from the Butts before 1841 (or passed away) as he isn’t there in the census.

Joseph is named in the Will of Anthony Walker who died 1828 Armitage near Lichfield but ‘late of Heage’. John is his son and sole Executor and probate was granted to him (schoolmaster of Heage) in 1830. Father Anthony’s body was returned to Crich for burial.

Also named in the Will are sons Anthony (deceased) and John. I believe the former married Ellen Spencer 1793 Duffield and she is in the Butts in 1841, and maybe she kept house for her brother-in-law.

The three sons of Anthony are interesting because there doesn’t appear to be any bps for them although it may be more that the records don’t survive, possibly because the family were non-conformists who could have been meeting in houses before the various local chapels were built. Anthony Walker junior is a signatory to a petition made by the Independents in 1799 to allow a meeting place for dissenters.

I had hoped to get a census entry or burial for Joseph to estimate a YOB but none of the ones I’ve looked at fit so far, unless teaching turned out not to be as lucrative as farming (his father was a yeoman who left him land in the Manor of Highedge) and he returned to this.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Highedge is ancient name for Heage.

Will does not state how many children Anthony (deceased) had, but if he did marry Ellen Spencer
1793 Duffield then there are a number of children bpt to them on Ancestry, all independent.

Mary Ann 1797
Elizabeth 1799
Hannah 1801
John Beardmore  1806
Isaac 1808

There may be others

Spendlove

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 19:11 BST (UK) »
Just the one more I've got - Thomas bp 1812. There's no obvious burial record for Anthony junior, but he must have died between c. 1812 and 1828. Perhaps buried in the back garden like the Quakers used to do, or died out of the area. I find the non-conformity around the Belper area very interesting.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Flemming,

I think I have found your Joseph Walker, son of Anthony Walker d. 1828 & Ellen d. 1846

There is a death notice for Ellen Walker of The Butts, Belper in Derby Mercury 1.1.1847, which states
She died 20.12.1846 widow of Anthony Walker, Schoolmaster, mother of rev. Joseph Walker, Independent Minister, Hexham Northumberland.

Joseph is on 1851 census Hexham born 1793 parish of Heagh with wife Elizabeth born 1804 Derby.
Independent Minister and Teacher.

HO107; Piece: 2414; Folio: 552; Page: 2

Spendlove

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi there, that’s a great find, thank you.

I think Joseph born 1793 Heage is a different chap to the schoolmaster in the Butts - I think the former is the latter’s nephew (possibly named for his uncle).

Joseph born 1793 is probably the son of Anthony who married Ellen Spencer 1793 Duffield (although there’s no obvious bp for Joseph). Anthony and Ellen’s first recorded child was bp 1797 and so it’s possible there were others before this, perhaps lost in NC records somewhere.

I think Anthony who died in 1828 was Joseph’s grandfather rather than father. Anthony who died in 1828 mentions his late son Anthony in his Will, and I think Anthony junior was father of Joseph born 1793. Anthony and Ellen’s last recorded child was bp in 1812 and so I think he would have died between 1812 and 1828.

The record for Ellen’s death in 1846 is also very helpful. GRO has YOB 1770 which ties in nicely with her age in the 1841 census.

Thanks again - more pieces of the puzzle to play with.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry to have confused I should have written Anthony dead before 1828, not died 1828.

Did wonder if Joseph born abt 1793, the year Anthony Jnr., married Ellen Spencer was born prior to their marriage so would be recorded as Joseph Spencer.

Spendlove

Spendlove

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 May 21 10:55 BST (UK) »
That's a good thought. I've checked all bps for Jos* to *el*nr* 1791-5 in Derbyshire and Notts but can't find a Spencer. There is a Walker bp 1797 Castleton with mother Ellen, but father is William. I think he's in the missing bucket with others of his family.

I'll also have a look in the newspapers for father Anthony's death. A quick scan of FindMyPast shows the usual unintelligible transcription nonsense but I'll have a proper look anon.

Thanks again, much appreciated.