Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 27th April  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 27th April
« on: Wednesday 28 April 21 00:20 BST (UK) »
Usual walk this morning, there's a lady I've often seen walking her terrier and we say hello, today I saw her on the field then not long after in the woods, we laughed about coming across each other so soon and had a short chat. The bluebells were in flower at the edge of the woods. Walked down the narrow path, on my way back I ended up having quite a long conversation with a man who was walking his dog, I didn't know him but it was nice to chat to him.

It was a bit chilly and there were a few spots of rain. After lunch (M&S hummus, mmmm!) I set about trying to sort out the problem with my laptop and after gaining some reassurance from some Rootschatters I went for the HP system repair option which would not affect my files. I was a bit nervous about it but my worries were unfounded, it worked really well, I was so relieved.

Set to with the work on my portrait painting, doing the tonal drawing in charcoal. At first I'd put ten years on my friend, remedied that but it still wasn't right. Turned the picture and the reference photo upside down, it's a useful trick if you can't spot what's wrong as you see the shapes rather than the subject of the picture. I kept tweaking it but although it looks like a picture of a nice looking woman it doesn't look like the right nice looking woman. I'll keep having a go, I'm sure my art teacher will be able to help. I comfort myself with the thought that some of the artists on the Portrait Artist programme don't get a good likeness to the sitter.

At five I went to meet the subject herself, we'd been waiting to see what the weather situation was as there was rain forecast and there'd been a little bit earlier on. In the end we went for it and were lucky that it stayed dry while we were out.

Took a portion of curry out of the freezer when I got home, was hungry and didn't want to wait to eat. Watched a couple of programmes I'd recorded.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 27th April
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 08:25 BST (UK) »
Great to hear you’ve managed to sort your computer out! When we had a problem with ours we had a Microsoft fixer... it was very odd to see someone else manipulating your computer whilst you sat and watched and talked to them on the phone at the same time!
I’m sure by the time you’ve finished your portrait it will look like your friend J! Intriguing to hear you turn them upside down...
Glad to hear the weather held off for your walk too.

It was a dull grey looking day when I got up which wasn’t looking promising for our Tuesday coffee get together!
After breakfast I had a shower and put on several layers of warm clothing, thick jeans, a body warmer and I took a coat as it looked like it could rain!
We braved it out and S had given us all nice rugs just in case! It did start to spot as she brought out the coffee and lovely carrot cake but it soon went. Was good to catch up for a chat...almost lunchtime when we dispersed!
After lunch I had my article to write for our village newsletter.....
Our delivery from Donald Russell had arrived so stashed it in the freezer but kept out some Cod Loins for dinner...
Had a phone call from our mutual friends with an update re our friend whose in hospital with leukaemia.... waiting for bone marrow test results, still on meds to get his count right.. once that’s done he’ll have four weeks of chemo and will stay in hospital for all that time... H his wife can visit him daily, at the moment, for just 1 hour... we decided to send her some flowers between us so I phoned the florist in the town where they live nearby... the florist knows her so is delivering them on Thursday... you feel so helpless, can’t visit either of them really but she’s lots of support from neighbours offering to drive her daily to the hospital..... not the way he’d intended to spend his 70th birthday 😢..
On a happier note my daughter and husband have booked their jabs for 4 & 6th May then 20 & 22 nd July.... great news!
My second Tesco delivery arrived and there were just a couple of items not available and I’d not asked for substitutes... all put away as normal..
Baked the cod in the oven for just 13 mins after drizzling it with olive oil... made a kind of mash with spring onions, cannellini beans, stock, lemon juice once slightly mashed I added some mushrooms...lots green vegs ...
watched usual tv... not much very inspiring...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 09:15 BST (UK) »
A bit of housework and some more source logging.  I may eventually get through all the piles.  It's amazing how much you accumulate in over 20 years of research.

A few phone calls to deal with legal stuff followed by a bit of a cry to alleviate the stress.

A house I pass on the school run has put up a sign saying "Covid is a hoax".  They then added another sign saying "Come chat about covid" and references to explaining about the NHS liars etc.  It both upsets me and makes me feel very unsafe.  It is saying the deaths I saw (and still see when I close my eyes) and phonecalls I had to make weren't real, when I very much wish it wasn't real. Also casting aspersions on my integrity and saying I would lie about something so awful.  Much as I wish the last year and a bit wasn't real i just can't put into words how I feel about people claiming it wasn't real

Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 09:50 BST (UK) »
I can understand your anxt Pharma, and I must say I was quietly incensed by an anti vaccination rally I passed over the weekend.  >:(

The shocking stressors endured by our NHS, and other key workers , (globally,) during the last year + should not be minimised or denied by anyone.
Why ever would e.g. India, be lying about the desperate situation they are facing?

But, the bottom line is that last century 2 wars were fought to allow the people of Britain the right to free speech, and for that I am grateful, after all, I don't have to listen to, or vindicate, tossers!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 11:18 BST (UK) »
I can understand your anxt Pharma, and I must say I was quietly incensed by an anti vaccination rally I passed over the weekend.  >:(

The shocking stressors endured by our NHS, and other key workers , (globally,) during the last year + should not be minimised or denied by anyone.
Why ever would e.g. India, be lying about the desperate situation they are facing?

But, the bottom line is that last century 2 wars were fought to allow the people of Britain the right to free speech, and for that I am grateful, after all, I don't have to listen to, or vindicate, tossers!

That is true but the problem is that the freedom of speech only works one way. In my experience if i said to them "well i disagree because...." I would be told I had no right to say anything and in the past year have had actual death threats for disagreeing with a covid denier politely I may add.  All I said was "I don't believe because I've blindly followed the government but because of what I have seen with my own eyes"
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 11:39 BST (UK) »
 :o
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 13:52 BST (UK) »
PharmaT, I know it's not easy to ignore idiots like these, particularly when you have had to deal with the terrible effects of the virus firsthand. Unfortunately there is no other way, they won't be convinced no matter what anyone says to them in their invitation to chat or by any evidence provided. Try to remember that the vast majority of us have the greatest respect and admiration for you and all the other people who have done all they can for us.

A very difficult time for your friend Caroline, I'm sure his wife will really appreciate the flowers and knowing that you are thinking of them both. Great news about the jabs for your daughter and her husband.

Was very pleased to read in the news today that a single dose of the Pfizer or AZ vaccine reduces the transmission rate by a half. Vaccinated people are between 39% and 48% less likely to pass on the virus than those who have not been vaccinated.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/27/one-covid-vaccine-cuts-transmission-virus-half/

(Can't find the BBC news article)

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 20:21 BST (UK) »
Oh Pharma, just be thankful you have the intelligence to see the truth, both by personal experience and your intelligence.
I could not believe the massed marches seen on T V !

Lots of rain in the night, so good for the gardens.
My second dwarf apple tree broke two thirds of the way up a year or so  back ,- side shoots are growing stronger and  this year have blossom . :D

Clever devil Roobarb, sorting your computer out!Well done.
That is kind to send flowers to the patient’s wife Caroline, in such situations there is never  just one person affected  is there?

My neighbour seems settled back home so will phone her i a little while also must phone my son who is working from home ,computer connected to several countries so time zones etc mean there is not much time when all are working simultaneously ,I must not interrupt those relatively small windows.

Waiting for exact details re the puppies ,I did leave a phone message with my daughter ,however, FH’s Mummy is so nauseous and it seems dehydration can
be causal in miscarriages, she has lost two at ten weeks, my daughter one and I a non identical twin at three months.We were all troubled by acute
hyperemesis,that excessive vomiting morning moon and night!
She was kept in hospital until her bloods showed salts etc were alright and she was fully rehydrated.
So fingers crossed .

No plans for today really .It is fine but overcast so washing can wait ,what there is, for a sunny day.
Tesco delivery on Friday evening .
Must get plants for neighbour’s pots so they will be blooming for her
birthday ..

No idea what for tea- a freezer full so no problem really .
Fresh veges too ,new potatoes ,rice .pasta etc .

Well folks ,count our blessings and battle on !
Two thirds through Spring !
Almost Summer.I hope the new Summer outfits I got the year before last eventually get an airing!
I am not ruled by fashion so that is not a problem .
I am not being dictated to by some airhead in London!
So out comes the Crimpline ,orange and lime green ,bell bottomed pants, stacked sole shoes ,beehive hair ,miniskirts etc etc etc. ;D ;D ;Dim
Ye Gods, however were we persuaded to wear that stuff ?
I must say I did not fully subscribe to it ,!
No seriously ,classic clothes do date well .
Unlike their wearers sometimes!
Well must get on with I know not what!I will find something .
Cheerio ,look after yourselves.
Viktoria.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 22:48 BST (UK) »
Enjoy reading everyone’s posts and feel sad for things that are not going well for some and good news for others. As a dog lover, Viktoria, really hope you get that puppy!
Weather has been up and down, typical April, warmish yesterday and today, they keep saying a thunder storm is coming, has not materialized.  It will be cooler, mid teens, upper teens for the next while.  In this area, though, you are better to bet they will get the forecast wrong!
Have been doing some online work lately, left me a bit frazzled.  Some of it is tedious, never easy to get through.
A couple of weeks ago I recounted here how we lost a set of keys (but recovered them thanks to a kind person) in the park, well today we went to a different section and walked by a picnic table, there was a set of about 8 keys sitting there! No one in sight.  No car fob, so couldn’t match them to any cars in the sparsely populated  parking lot (but the whole park has at least 6 lots) so we left them there.  I returned sooner than OH as he does a longer walk, they were still there.  I sat and guarded them for a while but in the end just left them.  You’d think there were would be a central lost and found but there isn’t as far as I know. I hope the owner did return and get them.  In warmer months and non Covid times, that area of the park would be busy, as there is a mini children’s amusement park and a train they can ride around on.
Am reading a biography about Alice, Prince Philip’s mother, by Hugo Vickers. Very interesting, but my, those royal families of Europe are confusing.  The Queen and Prince Philip were related through the Danes as well as Queen V., which I did not recognize.  Do you know we celebrate her, Victoria, on Victoria Day in May.  Considered the first day of summer.  Of course in Quebec they call it something else. That’s okay, I can criticize my home province.
Been watching David Attenborough’s show, World Of Colour, I believe it’s called.  Love it.  Started watching Belonging with Brenda Blethyn and Kevin Whateley, big fan of both, but KW character is just an awful human being.
Not a lot going on, did have a nice chat with my son, he is a real joker and always gets me laughing.  Was reminding me of some of his childhood nonsense.  Then he went off to walk in the woods with his partner and scared her with bear stories...am sure she has him figured out by now, though!  I always told him he cried wolf too often : ).