Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 27th April  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 27th April
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 22:57 BST (UK) »
Just picturing you in your lime green bell bottoms Viktoria.  ;D ;D ;

Pleased to hear that your apple tree is doing well, hope the rosebush is too. 🌹

Hope the owner of the keys returned to find them Diana, it makes you start picturing them getting home or to their workplace and not being able to get in.
You're not alone in being confused by the European royals, I'm the same. The fact that Queen Victoria's children were scattered around is bad enough on its own. I don't even try to work it all out!
Nice to have a laugh with your son.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 April 21 02:42 BST (UK) »
My niece posted this early in the day - how lovely is that?   I visited in the afternoon - had lots of cuddles and got Macy off to sleep.

After I left J's I drove on the The Range to get a few more plants.  On Monday I cleared out some pots and put plants in 4 of them.   Still lots to do but hopefully on Thursday morning and then I'm off to a visit at my nephews to see his 4 girls (plus his wife of course).

After all the mundane of earlier in the year so nice to be able to see my family again.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 April 21 08:34 BST (UK) »
What little beauties the girls are Annette... so pleased you’re able to give them cuddles... they look so happy.

Viktoria- you do bring a smile to my face... imagining you wearing those bright colours made me laugh 😂😂.
Hope you know soon if you’ll get a little puppy or not... lots of planning to do if you are to have one!

Diana - always a worry seeing a set of keys left as you wonder when they get back to a car realising no keys and panic... walk home can’t get in.. panic... hope they got found by the right person!
Lovely to enjoy a laugh with ones children... brightens up the day!
Your book sounds interesting... have to look it out...

PharmaT- I know it must be hard given all you’ve been doing over this past year in your job... but really these  people aren’t even worth you giving a second thought to... if that’s what they want to believe then don’t waste your energy on them as MN says they’re just tossers!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 April 21 10:13 BST (UK) »
Well May 24 th was always known here in England as Empire Day as it was Queen Victoria’s Birthday and mine too!Only mine was a bit later than hers( ;D)Her’s 1819 mine 1937.

There were parades etc ,and there were still many horses in use when  I was  a child and back from being an evacuee 1945.
They were dressed in their brasses and red white and blue ribbons and rosettes .
The Gas Works,  Co-op  ,milk carts and bread carts were all in a parade .
I used to think it was so kind of them to do that for my birthday!
Until Mum enlightened me-
That is not why I am called Viktoria really but the little girl after whom I was named ,with the German spelling , was born about the same time as I was and her father sought out other children born that day .It is actually my second name .Mum had chosen mine but agreed to Viktoria as my second name ,as the family of my namesake were GermanJewish people with a business in Manchester .( ,the name of one of Kaiser Wilhelm’s daughters ) I do not know what became of them ,in 1937 I would not think they would go to Germany even to try to wind up a business assuming it had not already been commandeered by Hitler’s lot!
There is record of an emigration of the only person with the name spelled with the k to Australia.
So we never met.
As we do not have an Empire anymore it is Commonwealth day but not sure what date or if and how it is celebrated .

Glorious sunshine but very chilly.
Still not heard from daughter about exact details of the puppy shortage.
She is very busy at the moment in a battle with their dealership principal ,I use lowercase letters on purpose !
She won’t relax standards yet so business is very slow.BUT,is as safe as she can possibly make it for customers and her team which is very close knit and loyal to her  .Her Dad would have been so proud of her standards .

I would love to see your paintings Roobarb ,

Back and leg bothering me at the moment so will give a few more days
to see if it is from my deep step down from the ladders.

Was hoping to go to daughter’s for all the May birthdays WA s etc but no news yet of being able to mix like that.

Well if Boris has been naughty re flat decor etc it is nothing that will go away and could keep until things are better.
Who remembers The Blairs,Cherie!Do I remember something similar?
Only with no Pandemic to deal with .
I am open to correction.

Not heard re the results from the “Rapid Response Chest Pain Clinic!” ;D ;D ;D
However as things are not too bad mustn’t grumble.

What lovely lively babies !Thanks .

Some keys were put in my fence but had they slipped down into my border would not have been seen, so I put a notice in my window ,they were belonging to my neighbour’s daughter but I had asked her husband(daughter’s ) and he said not their’s.

Well must get on.

Cheerio folks, look after yourselves.
Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 April 21 23:23 BST (UK) »
Roobarb,
Queen Victoria ‘s  third child Alice married Louis 1V of Hesse,a German state .
Their two daughters were Victoria who married Prince Louis of Battenberg and
Alexandra who was the last Tsarina of Russia.
Victoria and Louis of Battenberg were the parents of Prince Philip’s mother
Alice.
She had married Andrew of Greece ,Philip’s father.
So Prince Philip did have German blood .
His Danish and Russian connections were mentioned ,but they were not so strong as the German ones given that Prince Albert was German and
Victoria’s mother, Victoria  of SaxeCoburg.
Victoria’s father Edward Duke of Kent was fourth son of George lll and they were third generation German with German spouses.
I don’t know the  line of Andrew of Greece, except he was brother of the King of Denmark but he too was from a German State.
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 April 21 00:17 BST (UK) »
Dear me, I'm even more confused.com!  ;D

Lovely photo of the babies Annette.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 April 21 00:47 BST (UK) »
We don’t really do anything connected to Victoria on Victoria Day, sometimes someone in the media will talk about her.  It’s really just a day off for everyone and considered the start of summer and of planting safely.
Good news here today, vaccinations will be opened up to all adults in Ontario within four weeks, my son might get in earlier than his older sisters as he can’t work from home. Am very happy about this! 
Annette, the photo of the babies is beautiful!
Caroline, the book about Alice is very interesting.  I realized that I’ve had it since 2013 and it was time to read it.  Prince Philip turned out very well, considering his unsettled childhood

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 April 21 10:22 BST (UK) »
Great news about the vaccinations Diana, sounds like things are moving on more quickly now.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham