Author Topic: Finding a census  (Read 2755 times)

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a census
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 01 May 21 16:51 BST (UK) »
I think it is just a mistake Henry Fouldes was recorded in most things as born abt 1832 in Oxton Notts. There doesn’t appear to be a Benjamin Fouldes in 1832 in Notts.

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
  • Photo is 2020 me. Got fed up with my old silly one
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 02 May 21 16:40 BST (UK) »
I can tell you this, for a paid service Ancestry seems to make a lot of spelling mistakes for names! I have seen family members names spelled wrongly on their transcripts. I think "Oh well a lot of people couldn't spell back then" but when I look at the original document I can see the spelling is totally correct, just ancestry has transcribed it all wrong! Has anyone else found that this is the case for them?

Cheers
MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 08:28 BST (UK) »
Just a quickie but for some reason I can no longer find John Gibson Fouldes in 1911 census! I have tried family search and Ancestry. He was born in 1884 in Sheffield and is living away from his family.

It is strange why I cannot find him! A family search link would be great!

Cheers
MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 09:03 BST (UK) »
If you just search for John Gibson F* in 1911 he comes up fairly easily. But the handwriting on the original is open to misinterpretation: you will find him as 'Fouleles' on FS and 'Foulkes' on Ancestry. Fouleles I can understand, but not Foulkes!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 10:17 BST (UK) »
Was that on Familysearch? As I tried searching those exact details and nothing came up!

If you meant Ancestry, apologies and I will try that later!

MJ

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 10:26 BST (UK) »
Found him on Ancestry (I am quite shocked how often they seem to misspell things. I look at the original document and can see it was all spelled correctly originally).

Still gotta nail him on Familysearch!

Thanks
MJ

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 10:48 BST (UK) »
Was that on Familysearch? As I tried searching those exact details and nothing came up!

If you search for the name I gave earlier on FS, i.e. John Gibson Fouleles, it comes up straight away. You need not add anything else to the search. Just the name.

If you just search for John Gibson F* in 1911 he comes up fairly easily. But the handwriting on the original is open to misinterpretation: you will find him as 'Fouleles' on FS and 'Foulkes' on Ancestry. Fouleles I can understand, but not Foulkes!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 12:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you! Got him! Guess I was being TOO specific!! It gets so frustrating when I know all the details but STILL cannot seem to find anyone!! 😂

Thanks again!
MJ