Author Topic: J Tall  (Read 2470 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: J Tall
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 22:15 BST (UK) »
It's in the September 2nd and 30th, 1870, editions of the Chelmsford Chronicle.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 22:39 BST (UK) »
It's in the September 2nd and 30th, 1870, editions of the Chelmsford Chronicle.
Thanks Scotmum, that's splendid of you.

Offline Quandery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 23:07 BST (UK) »
I am new to looking into my family history. How do you discover these newspaper articles ? What is your interest in Joseph Tall. I would love to share any knowledge about him.

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 17:35 BST (UK) »
I am new to looking into my family history. How do you discover these newspaper articles ? What is your interest in Joseph Tall. I would love to share any knowledge about him.

Welcome to family history and RootsChat. I find that a good and expanding resource for British and its empire's newspaper articles is BNA, British Newspaper Archive. It is an online resouce that needs a subscription. Your public library may subscribe and allow you free access. I am not uncritical of it but it is the best British newspaper service with 43 million pages.

My interest in Joseph Tall is not a family connection but an interest in early Portland cement base concrete buildings. The Talls were very significant figures in the 1860s and 1870s.

I have sent you a pm (private message), please let me know if you can't see it.

Offline Quandery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 20:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Deskman. I have not been able to open a private message. I do know he had contacts with Portland cement and lectured in various countries about his building methods. He built a pair of semi detached houses in Kent which I believe are listed. He was also invited to the opening of the Empire State Building in America but did not attend.
My family commitments will not allow me the time to delve into archives at this present time but I am interested to receive any snippets of information on Joseph and his family.

Offline bestie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 15 October 21 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, just found this post on Joseph Tall. I came across him whilst researching my house and discovered his connection to Charles Drake of the Concrete House fame. Samuel Enoch Adams built the terrace in Belvoir Road in 1881 choosing the larger end house as his own, and living next door was Joseph Tall. All of the interior walls in the terrace are constructed using Tall's concrete method, and as he didn't use any sand, mostly brick rubble and cement, they are solid! I am assuming Joseph, being an architect, designed the terrace. It would be good to have this confirmed. Samuel Adams was made bankrupt just after completion of the building and ended up running a coffee shop on nearby Peckham Rye. It would be good to find out what happened to the rest of the Adams family. And if anyone can tell me more about the Talls, that would be appreciated. Jim
Phelan, Sheehan, Ramsdale, Brittle, Ashworth, Watkins, Bergin, Daniels.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 15 October 21 18:46 BST (UK) »
"Grace's Guide to British Industry" is a leading online source.
https://gracesguide.co.uk/Main_Page
I didn't see a listing for Tall in the section on cement.
Cowban