Author Topic: J Tall  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Henryclyde

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: J Tall
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 12:56 BST (UK) »
I have a device which bears the name and address. Not sure if we are looking at the same person

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 13:42 BST (UK) »
Well, hopefully someone, someday might be thankful for the info on Joseph the concrete chap, so at least my time wasn't entirely wasted.

As for your chap, you have given very limited info, firstly saying you have a photo of something you think they invented, then saying you have a device bearing their name. Maybe if you share the photo and/or describe the device and what purpose it may have been for, someone will be able to better direct you.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 14:17 BST (UK) »
Long article in Sporting Gazette 3rd of Aug re J M Tall and his concrete making machine has the following addresses...
"J M Tall  Belvour Road, Lordship Lane, Dulwich SE
Post Office  orders made payable to Blackman Street, Borough, London."

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 14:36 BST (UK) »
His father was possibly an inventor too...
1857 mention of "Joseph Tall, Blackfriars Road, patent telescope blind roller manufacturer"
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Henryclyde

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 17:28 BST (UK) »
Item patented by J Tall.
Trying to upload a photo.

Offline Quandery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 June 21 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hello. I came across this forum by chance. I am the great granddaughter of Joseph Tall. The information I have read seems to be correct. He did indeed invent shuttering for buildings and was affiliated to Portland cement although I am having trouble verifying that. At 15 years of age he opened his factory in what is now known as Borough in London. According to my mother he invented various things including a whistling kettle which he never patented. It appears that he was naive about such things. I would be very interested to receive any further information on him as my elderly mother is now having difficulty in remembering. She has passed to me a copy of his medal that he was awarded at the Science Exhibition in 1874. He pawned the original !

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 21:35 BST (UK) »
I know I've come late to this but I have a longstanding interest in the work of the Talls; father and son, both inventors.
Joseph Mingay Tall, son of Joseph Tall had 'Blackman Street' as an address for postal orders in the late 1877 & 1878 for his business in the arches at Borough Road Station.
See Northwich Guardian 3 November 1877 & Sporting Gazette 3 August 1878.
He seems to have moved to Mark Lane by the 1880s.

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 21:51 BST (UK) »
Mention in 1870 newspaper of Joseph Tall's patent moulding machine being used in erection of a new vicarage at Mountnessing.

This Mountnessing project sounds familiar but I can't find the 1870 news story in my cuttings. Could you share the source?

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hello. I came across this forum by chance. I am the great granddaughter of Joseph Tall. The information I have read seems to be correct. He did indeed invent shuttering for buildings and was affiliated to Portland cement although I am having trouble verifying that. At 15 years of age he opened his factory in what is now known as Borough in London. According to my mother he invented various things including a whistling kettle which he never patented. It appears that he was naive about such things. I would be very interested to receive any further information on him as my elderly mother is now having difficulty in remembering. She has passed to me a copy of his medal that he was awarded at the Science Exhibition in 1874. He pawned the original !

It is wonderful to know you are there Quandery. I would be pleased to share what I know of Joseph and Joseph Mingay and keen to learn more. I will send you a pm