Author Topic: Mistakes on marriage records  (Read 2289 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Mistakes on marriage records
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 18:38 BST (UK) »
"I am at loggerheads with a relative" WHY ??? I would tell them to go and do their own research!

Of course there are errors on offical records, on a marriage cert the only 'real' information is the date/place the rest is given information which could be a lie, or a mistake not picked up as the people marrying didn't read/write or they just missed the error

My great grandfather married twice on his first marriage he names his grandfather ( who brought him up) as his father, on the second marriage cert he names his uncle who he was working with at the time as his father and yet his father was alive.... Another side great grandparents one lied about her age she said she was 10 yrs older than she was as she was marrying an older man the other said he was a bachelor ( he was a widower)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 20:57 BST (UK) »
I’ve got one from about 1900 where the forenames of the fathers were switched. 
Something like George HAMILTON and John MARSHALL. Instead of John HAMILTON and George MARSHALL

Luckily for me it was a second marriage for the bride and a sister signed her full easily recognisable  name neatly! 

A family I am working on at the moment for a friend have all so far been literate, with excellent handwriting.   On one of those marriage records in the 1700s the vicar has heard the bride’s name as having a D in the middle. But the bride has clearly signed with a T in the middle.

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 21:51 BST (UK) »
I have given some examples on other threads, but it would take me ages to list all those I have found doing my own, my husband's and friends trees.

I have come across numerous examples of grandfathers, uncles and brothers named as the father on the marriage certificates of illegitimate people. My mother-in-law was illegitimate, she didn't even know the name of her mother until I sent for her birth certificate when she was nearly eighty, she only had the shortened version. She was brought up in foster care. On her first marriage in 1937 the Father's name was correctly left blank, on her second marriage in 1954 her foster father was named as her father.

Then there are the two marriage certificates I have for one man who describes himself as a bachelor on both marriages, having failed to obtain a divorce from his first wife. As far as I can tell, his bigamy was never discovered.

The only certificates that I can be sure that the facts are 100% correct, are my own marriage certificate, two sons birth certificates and the death certificates of the people for whom I was the informant.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 22:42 BST (UK) »
I registered my mother in laws death and the Registrar made an error on the death certificate, cant remember what it was.  She nulled the certificate that she had used, corrected the error and printed a new certificate.  If the error hadn't been noticed and I couldn't read, it would have remained on the certificate and nobody would have been any the wiser, and this is only 5 years ago!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 April 21 00:59 BST (UK) »
My own entry for my birth on the England and Wales Birth Index is wrong. Completely wrong forename. The only reason I know its me is because of the combination of my surname and mothers maiden name, which is rare.

It's a sound-a-like of my somewhat unusual first name, so I have a feeling it was maybe communicated over a phone or shouted across a busy office.  ;D
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 April 21 01:18 BST (UK) »
Golly..do you have to have a passport in the wrong name?

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 April 21 01:28 BST (UK) »
No because my birth certificate is right. It's just the index for some reason.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 April 21 01:33 BST (UK) »
No because my birth certificate is right. It's just the index for some reason.

Phew!

I know someone whose name is spelled incorrectly on her birth certificate, another way on her drivers license and neither of those is the way she actually spells it. So every time she has to do something official she has to make sure she uses the “correct” version!

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 April 21 01:36 BST (UK) »
Blimey that sounds like a nightmare!