Author Topic: Big Y testing  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Lindy Freedman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Big Y testing
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 April 21 14:25 BST (UK) »
I will post back if I get more details in a couple of months. 

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 May 21 10:28 BST (UK) »
Look forward to hearing all the results :D.

Offline Lindy Freedman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 May 21 11:13 BST (UK) »
I put the predicted subclade in SNP tracker and it's actually in Denmark after all.  Cor blimey.  Still unsure about why the 1 step matches are so frequent in Ireland and Scotland, the timing for Danish Vikings wouldn't be the same as the Gaels in Scotland.  Having said that there is a lot to learn yet about DNA in Britain and Ireland. Onward MacDuff......

Offline Lindy Freedman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 12:39 BST (UK) »

Well the results were not the big reveal I hoped for.  Lack of matches mean that we are stuck all alone in the toe of Jutland in the Iron Age but officially 'unknown origin'.  The box next to us has two 'Smith' males, put us in the same area but a different subclade.  Downstream matches are in Finland and Norway so it could have moved on from Jutland before coming to the U.K.

Jute landings in England don't provide any clues, they were South East, we are North West but of course without matches you can't tell if it was a stranger passing through. 

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 08:58 BST (UK) »
When the Normans harried the north much of the population fled into southern Scotland, including Margaret who married the king. It was said that there was not a farm but had an English servant.

Skoosh.

Offline Lindy Freedman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 14:09 BST (UK) »
When the Normans harried the north much of the population fled into southern Scotland, including Margaret who married the king. It was said that there was not a farm but had an English servant.

Skoosh.

The Jutes settled on the Isle of Wight, Kent and parts of Hampshire.  Invited in to help provide security for Romano Britons who were struggling with cross border attacks, pirates and a resultant partial famine.
I read the Saxons massacred lots of Jutes, don't know more than that.  Jutes were very much South Coast nothing to do with Northumbria as far as I am aware.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 July 21 11:34 BST (UK) »

Well the results were not the big reveal I hoped for.  Lack of matches mean that we are stuck all alone in the toe of Jutland in the Iron Age but officially 'unknown origin'.  The box next to us has two 'Smith' males, put us in the same area but a different subclade.  Downstream matches are in Finland and Norway so it could have moved on from Jutland before coming to the U.K.

Jute landings in England don't provide any clues, they were South East, we are North West but of course without matches you can't tell if it was a stranger passing through.
Sorry to hear you didn't get any exact results Lindy. I suppose that is slightly the problem with these very in depth tests - it requires more people to do them for them to become more useful. Have you looked to see if there is a Family Tree DNA Surname Project for your paternal surname, that might be interesting. You may see that others with the name match but on a higher subclade, you could then encourage them to get the Big Y, if you think there may be a match :). I haven't received my mt dna results yet, I am not really expecting any direct matches, it is more out of curiosity than anything.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 July 21 10:17 BST (UK) »
"William the Conqueror in his efforts to crush to crush rebellion in the north of England is said to have left not a single inhabited village between York and Durham, those who escaped death fled to the south of Scotland, which was so stocked with English , both men and maidens, that they were to be found in all the farm houses and even in the cottages!"

Simeon of Durham.

They included many Flemings whose numbers in Scotland were augmented by many who settled following Henry II's expulsion of them from England in 1155. They made excellent settlers, many were craftsmen who developed, shipbuilding, weaving, glassmaking & agriculture etc.   The army of William the Lion had a large Flemish contingent and they played a prominent part in the Wars of Independence. John Crab the Flemish engineer was a thorn in the flesh of the English.

Black's Surnames.   

Offline Lindy Freedman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 31 July 21 10:28 BST (UK) »

Sorry to hear you didn't get any exact results Lindy. I suppose that is slightly the problem with these very in depth tests - it requires more people to do them for them to become more useful. Have you looked to see if there is a Family Tree DNA Surname Project for your paternal surname, that might be interesting. You may see that others with the name match but on a higher subclade, you could then encourage them to get the Big Y, if you think there may be a match :). I haven't received my mt dna results yet, I am not really expecting any direct matches, it is more out of curiosity than anything.

We didn't know the paternal surname, illegitimate son born to a widow in 1801 so we didn't have any long term link to the name we ourselves grew up with even on the maternal side, baby got her married name two to three years after she lost her husband.  Very, very tragic, don't know if there was some health problem in the family because they also buried 6 of their 7 children yet she managed to bring up two healthy illegitimate boys.  Maybe the father helped her and they didn't marry for whatever reason.  Her surviving daughter had twin girls to a father listed as 'manufacturer'. Bet there were some twitching curtains from her neighbours.

Anyway, SNP tracker have just moved the line into Sweden, not just my Dad's but upstream by two subclades as well.

Hope your Mums is interesting, mine and my husbands are...always bearing in mind MtDNA is one line of hundreds....mine is J2a1a1, closest matches split mainly between England and Ireland, no close matches on the continent.  My husbands is V15a, most matches in Norway but was in Ireland by Roman times (as in date wise, they were not there) and his mother had Irish Ancestry.  Certainly the DNA in Britain and Ireland can show interesting migration patterns that you won't find in a history book.  Only frustrating thing is if they haven't found a skeleton you will probably be stuck on the Continent from thousands of years ago like me.