Author Topic: A hypothetical 3,500cM match  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A hypothetical 3,500cM match
« on: Wednesday 28 April 21 15:41 BST (UK) »
I'm probably creating a rod for my own back but I recently convinced Mr Zaph to pay for a DNA test for himself, even though he isn't really interested in my hobby. We've been together for a million years, but I was teasing, asking him what he would feel like if he discovered that he had an unknown son or daughter from his misspent youth. He assures me he didn't have a misspent youth, and was, let's say, careful in this area. I just wondered, gentlemen, what you would do if you discovered in your later years that you had an unknown child? The way I see it is that if it was a child of a long-term girlfriend you would have heard about it and it might be disruptive to your current situation to make contact with a previous girlfriend and if it was a child of, let's say, a one night stand, would you actually be interested in hearing from the child? 

Zaph

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A hypothetical 3,500cM match
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 April 21 17:17 BST (UK) »
Interesting question that gets asked a fair bit amongst us. Views range from being gobsmacked but inviting them in for a cuppa, to denying it all (not sure how that's possible given a 3,500 cM match but something similar has happened within our circle). I find that people get more relaxed about it the older they get.   

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 May 21 14:44 BST (UK) »
The definition on ancestry of that amount is parent OR child
So there's always the possibility that its an unknown parent NOT child that they are discovering .!!
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 June 21 10:18 BST (UK) »
I have already tested with my mother and my fathers line has been confirmed so it would be a child from a not so careful youth

I would welcome it. I would hope they allow me into their lives and to find out another branch would be wonderful

It would be akin to cracking a brickwall and finding out there are more people to discover
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline emeraldcity

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 June 21 00:29 BST (UK) »
The definition on ancestry of that amount is parent OR child
So there's always the possibility that its an unknown parent NOT child that they are discovering .!!

Or a parent's long lost twin?  :)

Offline Garry Edgar2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 August 21 15:18 BST (UK) »
I'm probably creating a rod for my own back but I recently convinced Mr Zaph to pay for a DNA test for himself, even though he isn't really interested in my hobby. We've been together for a million years, but I was teasing, asking him what he would feel like if he discovered that he had an unknown son or daughter from his misspent youth. He assures me he didn't have a misspent youth, and was, let's say, careful in this area. I just wondered, gentlemen, what you would do if you discovered in your later years that you had an unknown child? The way I see it is that if it was a child of a long-term girlfriend you would have heard about it and it might be disruptive to your current situation to make contact with a previous girlfriend and if it was a child of, let's say, a one night stand, would you actually be interested in hearing from the child? 

Zaph

My wife is adopted and we used ancestry to find her father.

We found him via her matches to his cousins and then contacted him and his daughter on social media. The daughter is my wife’s half sister.

She didn’t really understand what we were researching and eventually gave us her dads phone number.

We called him and initially my wife wanted to know if he remembered her mother. He said he didn’t and so it took a while to agree to a DNA test.

His reasoning was ,”there was a lot of girls back then and I can’t rule out anything “!