Author Topic: Per Olofsson Seline's wife Anna  (Read 4221 times)

Offline Stoneofsilence

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Per Olofsson Seline's wife Anna
« Reply #27 on: Friday 30 April 21 16:19 BST (UK) »
I have found more information through distant cousins, but I do not know how reliable it is, but I have a birthday for Annie Seline and that is 2nd May 1884 Hager City Wisconsin, and Linus Seline 01 Jul 1886 Bay City Wisconsin. They refer to Andrew Seline as the father and his death in 1886.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 01 May 21 13:34 BST (UK) »
Are we chasing two different families?

From whom are you descended?  Andrew that marries Johanna Bystrom or Andrew that marries Ella "Carlson" Jakobsson?

Offline Stoneofsilence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 01 May 21 13:41 BST (UK) »
Andrew that married Johanna - but I cannot find any records for that on ancestry or the date of marriage - I do know the children were born in Wisconsin - it is a puzzle because I did believe that Andrew (Anders) Seline was the same as the one in Minnesota. According to one source he died in 1886 presumably in Wisconsin. If you can find any of the records for above that would discount my theory that perhaps Johanna Bystrom never married Seline.All I know for sure is that Annie E. Seline was the daughter of a Andrew Seline and Johanna Bystrom.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 01 May 21 19:42 BST (UK) »
I've followed Andrew Shulean and found the following information.  There doesn't seem to be an opening for a marriage to a Johanna Bystrom, but that doesn't rule out an affair.

1.  Nellie S Shulean's obit mentions her sister, Isabel Rice and 2 brothers:  Wm. of Cambridge and Andrew of Minneapolis.

2.  I was able to follow Andrew Shulean in MNPLS in the city directories from 1883 to circa 1926.  At one point, it mentions that he has moved to Lyle, MN (1916) but he is back with his "wife" in 1926.  Most of his residences are at 2023 Bloomington Ave.

3.  1900 census: transcribed as Shillam, but looks like Shillene
2023 Bloomington Ave
Shillene, Andrew, b. 1855, age 45, married 23 yrs, works at setting up gas engine (possibly Otto
                     Gas Eng Wks from the city directory)
Shillene, Isabelle, b. Feb 1850, age 50, married 23 yrs, mother of 2 children, 0 children living,
                     immigrated 1870, 30 yrs in US

4.  1910 census:  Minneapolis
2022 Bloomington Ave
Shulean, Andrew, 55, marriage 1, 35 years, b. MN, parents b. SWE, proprietor feed mill
              Bell, 65, marriage 1, 35 years, b. NOR, parents b. NOR, mother of 2 children, 0 children
                      living, immigrated 1875
          *  Anna, adopted daughter, 10, b. ND, NOR, NOR

5.  1920 census: Lyle, Mower, MN
Shuleen, Andrew, 63, divorced, b. MN, parents b. SWE, miller, feed mill

6.  Andrew Shulean marries Ella Carlson, 27 Apr 1929 in Isanti county, MN

7.  1930 census:  Cambridge, Isanti, MN
Shurlean, Andrew L, 73, first married at age 21 (1878), b. MN, parents b. SWE
               Ella, 44, first married at age 43, b. SWE, parents b. SWE, immigrate 1886, naturalized,
                    runs boarding house in a private home

8.  Andrew dies in 1937 and Ella in 1966

Offline Stoneofsilence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 01 May 21 19:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much! I could not find another Andrew Seline - there are several possibilities that Andrew Seline never came to the US and she married him in Sweden. That is unlikely. The change of names from Seline to Shuleen is interesting. I am beginning to think that it is likely that Johanna and Andrew might have had an affair. According to Ancestry sources  the children were born in Wisconsin. I however see no record for Annie E Selin or her brother Linus. If there is no record of Andrew Seline dying in 1886 in the US then perhaps he did not die - he is Andrew Shulean/Shuleen. Families are complicated! :-) . Seline was the name used by the Olofsson family. There were several from Hassela in Isanti County.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 01 May 21 21:23 BST (UK) »
Have you gotten your grandparents, great grandparents, birth, marriage, death records?  Have you tried to trace them back to their family group on the census records?  I suggest you work from present day backward, then if you run into a dead end, ask for help, without divulging any information on living persons.

Offline Stoneofsilence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 01 May 21 21:34 BST (UK) »
OK that's good advice - will do.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 01 May 21 22:02 BST (UK) »
Remember, unless something is "sourced" with actual records that can be verified, it is just supposition and shouldn't be taken for fact.  Good luck in your search. 

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 02 May 21 09:59 BST (UK) »
.. there are several possibilities that Andrew Seline never came to the US and she married him in Sweden. That is unlikely.

I took a look in the Swedish Church Books to confirm this. I found no evidence of her having children or a marriage in Sweden.

Ian