Author Topic: The Disappearing Gibson's of Manchester!  (Read 1528 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: The Disappearing Gibson's of Manchester!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 April 21 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

It’s very sad re his marriage/death and the child’s birth. The poor woman.

I just searched for his name, birth etc and the tree shows up - Charles Gibson, 1884, Manchester with parents names and the records reveal the change of name but I can’t see an explanation.

Definitely very sad as you say. Still unable to find that tree though, unfortunately.

Have looked at his service records on FindMyPast and Charles Gibson & John Capper are most certainly one and the same!

Shows the marriage to Jane Bradley on 2nd Feb 1914 at St Ann's Catholic church in (Ancoats) Manchester, also birth of Elsie on 4th Dec 1914. Later in the records there is a letter written on behalf of a Mrs Margaret Capper of 23, Garrick Street off Gray Street, Manchester. As I wrote in my OP the Gibson's were living at 23, Garrick Street, Manchester in 1901 and Gray Street (no 49) in 1911! Margaret being Charles/John's mother.

Talk about convoluted! ;D

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 April 21 07:24 BST (UK) »
The family tree was on Ancestry, I forgot to say, sorry.
I couldn’t remember how I came across it but just entered the name and found it again yesterday.

I just checked, yet again, and there is no trace of the tree so I assume it has now been removed - if you can do that completely.

However,thankfully, your mystery is solved  :)

I see too that there is a record (Fold3 - paysite) for Charles Gibson, born abt 1880, Manchester dated 16th March 1901, Woolwich  - UK Military deserters.
Perhaps after the ‘desertion’ and the two other army records, he decided to try another route via a changed name. He was successful in the Kings Own regiment though - becoming a sergeant etc until the poor man was killed.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 April 21 07:48 BST (UK) »

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 April 21 07:55 BST (UK) »
Yes, it was the first one - many thanks Mckha489.
How odd that I couldn’t find it today  ::)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 April 21 08:43 BST (UK) »
David, in your opening post you mentioned 4 children you were looking for. With the great success of number one do you wish to name number 2,3 and 4.

John

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 April 21 09:07 BST (UK) »
John,
 David says,
“ I propose to deal with these children one at a time, mainly to avoid confusion! ;D

We are waiting  ;)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 April 21 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood, Mckha489 & Johnhood,

Many thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

Heywood, Many thanks for the deserter info & confirmation of where the tree is, much appreciated. I did wonder whether it was Ancestry or not! Unfortunately, I currently do not have access to Ancestry, so will probably have to wait until my local library reopens again.

Mckha489, Many thanks for Ancestry tree links, very much appreciated. Will definitely take a look at those, when my local library reopens, as don't currently have access to Ancestry only FindMyPast at present.

John, many thanks for enquiry re the other missing Gibson children, much appreciated. As Heywood says I am doing each child separately, to avoid confusion, at least on my part anyway! ;D

My thanks to all for the successful conclusion to finding what happened to Charles, a convoluted story to say the least! Very much appreciated indeed.

The next post, which will detail the next child I am having trouble with will follow shortly!

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 April 21 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

As promised, the next child is Charles younger brother George Gibson.

George was born in 1895 in Ancoats, Manchester. I don't have a baptism for him as yet.

George is with his widowed mother in 1901 (with brother Charles) at 23, Garrick Street, Ancoats, Manchester. (RG13/3742/126/17)

In 1911, George is with his widowed mother Margaret at 49, Gray Street, Ancoats, Manchester (RG14/24102/schedule 154), and is a Plater at a Calico Printer's warehouse by trade.

WW1 Service for George is as yet unascertained. I am certain though that he married Bertha Nelson (1897-1985) on 2nd Oct 1920 at St Philip's church, (Bradford), Manchester as shown here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FM1Y-X83

They had three children (daughters) between 1921 & 1930.  In 1939, Bertha is shown as a widow living at 77, Brook House, West Gorton, Manchester with her three daughters and a Jane Nelson, who is almost certainly Bertha's mother.

This is where the problem starts, I cannot find a death for George Gibson at all! According to what I have, he died sometime between 1930 & 1939, but as I say despite looking, I have not found a thing.

Any and all help and assistance, as always will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 April 21 22:18 BST (UK) »
there is this death - but it does cause a bit of an issue about the youngest daughter

George Gibson
Death Age:    34
Registration Q4 1928     
Manchester North Vol 8d p519