Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 28th April  (Read 596 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 28th April
« on: Wednesday 28 April 21 22:41 BST (UK) »
Woke up really early (early for me anyway, no watching the sun rise), went for my walk earlier, a bit chilly but uneventful.

Tesco delivery arrived on time, first time without the tray liners, transferring the groceries into the bags I had ready was easier than expected and it was soon done. Had some lunch, did some tinkering with my portrait then got ready to go to the dentist's. I tried to time it so I wasn't too early, I would have waited in the car if I was. Then I thought I wasn't going to be able to find a parking space and end up having to dash but someone pulled out of one at the right time. Put my mask on, knocked at the door of the surgery and the receptionist let me in. In the event I had to wait ten minutes until the previous patient left. My appointment to have the filling replaced is in two weeks, doesn't make much difference when I've already waited almost a year. There weren't many people in the street around there, those that were about were all wearing masks.

Came home the long way round so I could call at the nurseries for a couple of bags of compost, very few people there. Did a bit of gardening when I got home, it was warm in the garden by then so sat reading for a while.

Only watched the first part of the Sewing Bee where they made the bakerboy caps. Gaps in seams and dodgy stitching, I thought these were supposed to be people experienced in sewing. Will save the delights of the other parts for another day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 28th April
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 April 21 08:25 BST (UK) »
Great to see you venturing out further... I’m sure though going to visit the dentist after a year was a weird experience! At least your garden centre seems a more comfortable place to go!

Once again the weather was chilly and not very tempting to go out! My OH surprised me  when he appeared in shorts but was wearing a fleece... bit of a contradiction in terms.... the vagaries of men!
Had some bits to do in the kitchen during the morning and then had a fairly early lunch as my new hairdresser was coming at 1pm.... having been to the same one for at least 15 years it was quite nerve wracking anticipating a new one and in my home too! Well I needn’t have worried as she put me at ease immediately and had some good suggestions as to what to do with my hair... I’m very happy with the results and far cheaper than going to a salon...
Our friend H phoned with the latest on her hubbie M... treatment stating today / tomorrow... 4 weeks of that short respite time possibly being able to come home then back in for stem cell treatment... she’s remarkably positive and taking each day as it comes as is M.... she started aged 21 teaching with my OH in his department at school so we’ve been friends for over 40+ years...
Had a game of scrabble late afternoon... which I lost... not going to say how far behind I am now 😢😢.
Dinner was a gammon joint with mushroom sauce, new pots and cabbage from the garden...
OH watched the snooker and I read my book.
Had a message from OH’s niece to say they were getting married on Saturday to do the legal bit and then full wedding in August... so looking forward to that and being able to get together with all the family... good job were a small one... although my son and wife will not be coming from Oz and nephew from Singapore in the balance at the moment... everything changes on a sixpence so who knows by August what life will be like...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 April 21 11:07 BST (UK) »
Yes it did seem strange to be at the dentist's when he wasn't the only one wearing a mask! I wasn't feeling anxious about going there so I'm definitely getting better about going places. Enough adventures for one week though!

Great for you to have the hairdresser coming to you, you'll be feeling like a new woman now. An anxious time for your friends, good to have such a positive attitude.
Lovely for you to have a wedding to look forward to, let's hope we have some normality by then and you can have a proper celebration.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 April 21 13:51 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, I'm so pleased to hear that you feel able to get out more. I'm sure that will lift your spirits and give you more confidence, despite it only being a visit to the dentist and nurseries. Of course the added benefit is that it is giving your car a run too - good to keep it ticking over.

Caroline, it is so awful to hear about your friend's illness. It must be a worrying time for all of you. Lets hope the August wedding goes ahead as planned and you manage to catch up with family.

Still much talk here of blood clots after the covid vaccines. Once the scaremongers and news outlets get hold of these stories they grow legs and I'm sure will deter many people from getting vaccinated.

What with public holidays and working from home it's been a week since I was called on to dog sit. Today was the day. Dog fairly silly and a bit naughty - due to lots of pent up energy I suspect. I was pleased to see that the grass had been mowed and an edger purchased to neaten it all up. Looks a lot better. Front lawn still unkempt though. I suppose half a lawn cut is better than no lawn cut. Dog is on her special non allergic diet as the first step in determining what her problem is.

As the nights are drawing in, by the time we got home after taking my dog for a walk, it was getting quite dark. Of course she wanted to go for an extended walk when I was keen to get home.

Nice weather - about 25 degrees during the day with some grey clouds. No rain unfortunately. We need rain, we were promised rain, so disappointed not to get any. It shouldn't surprise me though - they are wrong more often than not.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 April 21 14:27 BST (UK) »
Watched The Sewing B!
As far as I can judge the standards are not uniform, what is picked up on in one garment is overlooked in another.( I nearly put  overlocked!)
The “ tests” are so silly!.I laughed so much last night,the male models were mostly very ill at ease!
The winning cap was not matched in check at the crown in any way.

I used to make little shorts for my boys,lining then was a difficult task, pulling so much through a little opening .
I used to cheat and do it by putting the lining in ,pinning it and hand stitching
at legs and waist ,then a machined hem at waist.
Then putting new collars on shirts made from the “ lap” which is the part -,long - that forms the deep curve at the back of the shirt hem .
Not often seen on shirts nowadays.
Darning socks,I like darning.
Oooh make do and mend!

Tell me about the dog on a diet,I love to hear about other’s pets.
I am bursting with curiosity re the puppies ,but daughter will tell all when she has seen the owner of the stables who is very busy having a new block built .
Glad many if you have had hair  do’s, fillings ,nice walks ,etc.
Caroline ,August is a way off and a good chance the wedding will go ahead,what date ?mine was 18 th, only lasted 58 years.!
Hope the stem cell treatment works, oh I do feel for people in such grave circumstances.
Well just unblocked the small getting under furniture vac! A piece of jigsaw !
I can tell which one ,must have dropped it when putting pieces into its bag after completion.Must have got under the edge of a big rug ,right under .

Well a cuppa and a good talking to myself to get on with something ,fridge first as Tesco delivery tomorrow.
Spoke to neighbour ,she seems to think it is I who have been in hospital!
I must get the plants for her pots ,as I said in another post,they will be in full bloom in early June for her birthday if planted up now.
Cheerio folks .Viktoria.