Author Topic: Obituary Elizabeth Watterson, dod Sept 12, 1936 Lower Mullan, Co. Tyrone  (Read 5266 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary Elizabeth Watterson, dod Sept 12, 1936 Lower Mullan, Co. Tyrone
« Reply #27 on: Friday 30 April 21 10:09 BST (UK) »
Marriage - Joseph Watterson - 20 April 1904 Ireland married 18 Octiber 1939 Manhattan NY. Aged 35 years.
Residence Street Address 425 E. 65th St. New York City
Occupation Chauffeur
Father Joseph Watterson - Mother  Margaret Watterson - Spouse Gladys Pelling
Certificate Number 14965

SSDI - Joseph Watterson - Birth Date 20 Apr 1904 - August 1962
Issue Year Before 1951 Issue State New York

Spouse - Gladys E. Watterson - Birth Date 6 Sep 1909 - 2 April 1998
Issue Year Before 1951 - Issue State New York
Last Residence 62568, Taylorville, Christian, Illinois.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 30 April 21 10:12 BST (UK) »
New York Passenger LIst - Joseph Waterson - 1905 Magherafelt Co Derry. Aged 22 years. Single.
Farm Labourer.
Last Known Residence Magherafelt Co. Derry, Ireland
Departure Port Londonderry - Arrival Date 23 Feb 1927 New York. On the Letitia.
Final Destination Genssco, Illinois - Citizenship Intention Yes
Height 5 Feet, 8 Inches - Hair Colour Fair - Eye Colour Blue - Complexion Fair
Money in Possession:   $60
Person in Old Country Mr. Joseph Watterson - Father   Magherafelt Co. Derry
Person in US Mrs Anne Angus - Aunt

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 30 April 21 10:18 BST (UK) »
1940 census East 56th Street New York

Joseph Watterson   36   Head
Gladys Watterson 30   Wife
Daughter"M" 1 month  (27 February 1940)

Husband of daughter "M" - FIND A GRAVE

Camp Butler National Cemetery Springfield, Sangamon County, Illinois

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/72336845/dale-lee-tryon

Sandra

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 30 April 21 17:01 BST (UK) »
*Sandra*, you have done an absolutely awesome job of tracing Joseph Watterson and Alexander Watterson in New York, including wives and children. I did find the marriage of Margaret Watterson to Dale Lee Tryon in 1979 - his third marriage.
Please accept my apologies for my wording regarding Margaret Watterson in an earlier posting. I meant that Margaret Watterson, daughter of Ignatius Watterson and Elizabeth Clarke, was not the same Margaret as you had found travelling to New York in 1929 and 1935, whose parents turned out to be Joseph Watterson and Margaret Jane Pattison/Patterson. I wonder why Margaret and Alexander  had returned to Ireland 1935 - maybe their mother had died. Their father Joseph had died in 1932.
We know now that their brother Thomas was still alive in 1935.
I have tried and tried to find Margaret in New York without any luck. I wonder if she married after 1935 as she would have been 29 by then.
When Joseph emigrated in 1927, he was with his cousin Henry James Watterson whom I do not have on my tree as yet - his father William, and his relative in USA Mrs. Martha McAleese.
Thanks ever so much,
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 30 April 21 17:56 BST (UK) »
I have found Martha McAleese in Philadelphia in 1910, 1920, and 1930. She is the aunt to Henry James Watterson. She was born Martha Watterson, anywhere from 1870-1879 as per the different censuses,  emigrated 1891, ,married John McAleese in 1898 in Philadelphia, although I don't have her marriage certificate. They had a daughter Helen in 1899. Later a son John. Martha's husband John is deceased before 1920. He was born abt 1868 in Ireland.
I did find a Martha Watterson born 1879 to Jonathan Watterson and Nancy Jane Love, no idea if correct person.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 30 April 21 18:08 BST (UK) »
Now I found Martha's death in 1935 in Philadelphia. Her parents were Joseph Watterson and Eliza Hurl. Progress. But I don't have a brother William for her, who is supposed to be the father of Henry James. Have to keep looking.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 30 April 21 19:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Martha’s death certificate says her parents were JAMES Watterson and Elizabeth Hurl. I have figured out that Martha’s son was mistaken and Martha’s parents were James Watterson and MARGARET Hurl who did have a daughter Martha in 1868 and a son William James who had a son William James in 1902 but the son is on the 1911 Census as Henry James. This all fits with the age of Henry James on emigration in 1927 going to his aunt Martha McAleese in Philadelphia. It would clinch things if parents were given when Martha Watterson married John McAleese in 1898 in Philadelphia.
James Watterson who married Margaret Hurl and Joseph Watterson who married Eliza Ann Hurl were brothers but the Hurls were not sisters although surely related.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 01 May 21 20:40 BST (UK) »
I just went to the Irish Genealogical Group  database and they have the marriage of  Mary Watterson to Louis Van Bochel aka Boekel on Oct 30, 1934. But they also had the marriage of a Mary L. Watterson May 17, 1932 to Francis M. Doran.
It would be great to know the parents of Mary L. Watterson. I did look for the marriage on familysearch to no avail. I did find the birth and death of a Rosemary Doran, 1934-1937 who belonged to this couple. I did find this couple on the 1940 census and Mary L. was 26 so born 1914ish in New York. Young bride. Still don't know parents.
I did not find marriages on that website for Joseph, Henry James or Elizabeth Watterson.
Thanks for any help
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 02 May 21 18:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Sandra who tracked Joseph Watterson through his marriage to Gladys Pelling and the birth of their daughter Margaret who married Dale Lee Tryon. Perhaps Margaret Tryon is  still alive.
Anyway,  I  decided to find Henry James Watterson, his cousin. I did find him on the 1930 census, single, with Viola Moore living in the same household. Apparently, he married her in 1932 and I found them on the 1940 census, in Philadelphia, with daughter Viola E. Watterson, age 5. And surprise! His uncle Adam, age 62, widowed, is living with him.
So I went in search of Adam. I had to work backwards but Adam married Susan Leslie Mar 21, 1913 in Magherafelt, Ireland and they immediately emigrated to Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada in Mar 1913, then Adam crossed the border from Hamilton, Canada (presuming Ontario) to  Buffalo, NY on June 19, 1913 and they are in Philadelphia by 1914 when their daughter Anna died. They had daughter Margaret in 1915, Elizabeth 1916, and Evine 1919.
Then Susan died between the 1920 and 1930 censuses, and the girls cannot be found in 1930 although I found Adam in 1930 and in 1940. I don't have the date of death of Adam or his nephew Henry James or Susan. But I am pretty sure Margaret died Sept 22, 2011 unmarried, in Philadelphia. If someone could find her obit, it could be very interesting.
Thanks everyone for all your wonderful help.
I tried to post the 1920 census for Adam but the site won't let me even after I resized it. Sorry
Peggy